It’s war: first Varsity videos launched

With two weeks to go until the big UoL v JMU sporting competition, it seems there’s a war brewing…

| UPDATED albert dock badminton Football front lawn films golf hockey jmu john moores university liverpool rugby sport university of liverpool UoL Varsity volleyball

You might have seen students running all over Liverpool last weekend in next to nothing as the preparations for this year’s annual Varsity began.

Students have been raging across the city

But this year Varsity will be like no other, as AU President Matt Ward and his team have invested a huge amount of time and effort into composing an official trailer for the event.

Athletes from both UoL and JMU spent two intense days filming the trailer, which sees athletes from 15 different sports sprint across the city until they eventually meet and the battle begins.

Filming began at University Square, and over the course of the weekend moved between significant Liverpool locations, such as the Liver Building, Albert Dock and St. John’s Gardens.

This year, the annual sporting event promises to be bigger and better than ever, with the video expecting to reach 10,000 students in its first week of publication.

The trailer, which is due for release at the end of this week, has been superbly directed by Front Lawn Films.

Behind the scenes at Saturday’s filming

Originally from York University, the four guys behind the success of the trailer are currently at National Film and Television School and set up Front Lawn Films because of their interest in sport filming.

Director Tom is psyched about the event.

He said: “We love the spectacle that is a Varsity competition.  And with a specific interest in sport this is exactly the sorts of film we love making.”

This trailer will hopefully start a legacy and get as many of UoL’s 21,000 students and JMU’s 24,000 students backing their respective universities.

Emilio Ocampo, AU Committee member, said: “This video will help make Varsity a big thing.  It’s a first step and something to build on in the future.”

This year’s event, which will happen on Wednesday April 2nd, will predominantly be held at UoL’s outdoor sporting facility Wyncote.

Football, hockey, rugby league and lacrosse will all compete here, with the day culminating with the rugby union match at 3.30pm.

If you like men in tight shorts, join the thousands of other spectators expected to be there.

Charlie Kennedy, President of Netball, told The Tab the trailer is an excellent idea to help spread the word across campus.

She said: “Varsity should be bigger and the video will encourage people to watch the event even if they don’t play the sport.

“There’s big rivalry about the whole thing so this should create a good atmosphere.”

Swimming, netball, handball and basketball will be playing at UoL’s indoor sport centre, whilst badminton and volleyball will compete at the JMU facility of IM Marsh.

Following the success of UoL student Jamie Nicholls in this year’s winter olympics, Varsity could prove fruitful for ski and snow enthusiasts who will battle it out at the Chill Factor.

Golfers will be competing at the Royal Liverpool golf club and rowers will head over to Runcorn for their event.

The whole event is sponsored by Protime LTD, a sport nutrition brand directed at students, who will be there on the day to provide free refreshments and flags so you can back your team in style.

What are your favourite Varsity chants? Comment below with your suggestions!

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.