The Untouchables

The Tab Presents: The Most Important People on Campus

influential people on campus jack buckby LGOS Sam Butler SU university of liverpool

Campus is a minefield of people who think they should be important versus the people you should actually spend your time worrying about.

From drama to sport to rising political figures, here’s our low down of the 11 people you should definitely be aware of.  They have connections, yah.

Sam Butler, aka Mr Guild Pres.

Now in his second year as Guild President, he’s kind of a big deal.  Currently focusing on sorting out the building site that used to be know as the Guild, Sam assured us it will be “one of the most up to date, relevant, and best Student Unions’ in the UK.” Holla.

Martin Poile, NSDF Emerging Artists Award Nominee.

After Martin and a friend took a puppet musical to the Edinburgh Festival in first year, he was subsequently nominated for the NSDF Emerging Artists Award.  Since then, he’s been Co-President of LUDS, which won Best Big Society at the Guild Awards last year, and is now involved in Young Producers at the Young Everyman Playhouse, running evenings for new and emerging talent in Liverpool.

Alexander Ferguson, creator of The Kebab.

When contacted by The Tab, Alex replied: “The purpose of the Kebab is to take a serious look at the state of greasy delights in modern Liverpool. It is journalism not to be taken lightly, ran by an egotistical maniac intent on spreading understanding and acceptance around campus.”

Rio Matchett, Co-President of LUDS.

She’s also a founding member of Liverpool University Players, has been in the BodySoc Committee and is currently setting up a theatre programme for Erasmus students. Oh, and she’s a burlesque dancer.

Matthew Ward, AU President.

Matt Ward, left, Male Club Captain of the Year 2012

Currently in his fourth year, Matt beat four other candidates to become this year’s AU Pres.  Look out for more social media interaction with students, a monthly AU video and an AU Winter Ball.

The Antistudent, Grumpy Twitter Sensation.

Hating on students the world over, this previously anonymous UoL student has recently revealed his identity to his 3,479 followers.

Harry Sheehan, DJ at AbandonSilence.

This third year History student is definitely one to watch out for on the music scene.  He only went and supported Disclosure last Saturday at Chibuku.

Leigh-Angel Bevan, Guild Vice President.

The only female on the committee this year, she infamously told The Tab last year her parents originally wanted to call her ‘Leigh-Nova Bevan’. Awkward.  This year, she’s the lead officer for societies, volunteering, sustainability and internationalisation.

Kate Holmes, Founder of Liverpool University Feminist Society.

Third year English student Kate founded the society last year, which is now run by a team of five female students instead of one overall President.  Battling sexism across campus, this society is growing every day.

LivUniLad, Top Lad.

Since this geezer joined Twitter, trips to the library have never been the same.  He’s the reason everyone is always looking so shifty.

Jack Buckby, Chairman of the National Culturists.

Love him or loathe him, you can’t deny he’s going places politically- he’s buddies with Nick Griffin after all.  When contacted by The Tab, he replied: “Not interested.  If you’re going to go ahead and write the article, then you’ll find information we published on our social media pages […] Other than that, I don’t have any comments for you people.”

Guess we shot ourselves in the foot with that one.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.