One step closer to a male contraceptive pill?

Leicester scientists have made a discovery which could result in the production of a male contraceptive pill.

Scientists in Leicester along with colleagues in Australia have made significant progress in the development of a male contraceptive pill that could be made available within the next decade.

Scientists from the University of Leicester, in partnership with colleagues at Monash University and the University of Melbourne may have discovered a novel way of blocking the transport of sperm during ejaculation.

02

The research found that complete male infertility could be achieved by blocking two proteins found on the muscle cells that trigger the transport of sperm and will work without affecting sexual behaviour.

The study involved ‘turning off’ the two proteins P2X1-purinoreceptors and alpha1A-adrenoreceptors, found in the muscle cells that effect the transport of sperm in mice.

Lead researcher Dr. Sab Ventura, from Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Australia, said previous methods had often led to long term and irreversible effects on the fertility of the males tested.

He added: ‘the latest research has shown that simultaneously disrupting the two proteins that control the transport of sperm during ejaculation causes complete male infertility, but without affecting the long-term viability of sperm or the sexual or general health of males’.

‘This suggests a therapeutic target for male contraception. The next step is to look at developing an oral male contraceptive drug, which is effective, safe, and readily reversible.’