Leicester academics take part in Christmas University Challenge

Leicester Alumni will beat graduates from the University of Sussex but miss out on semi-final spot.

Four distinguished graduates from the University of Leicester have participated in the long running BBC2 quiz series University Challenge, 50 years after students from the University won the first ever series in 1963.

Leicester’s 1963 team

The show aired last night on BBC2 at 8pm and can be found on iPlayer here.

Representing Leicester:

Dr. Heather Couper CBE

International broadcaster and writer on astronomy, space and science and former President of the British Astronomical Association.

Dr. Susan Cook

Broadcaster and author of novels including On Dangerous Ground.

Ms. Natalie Bennett

Leaders of the Green Party of England and Wales.

Nigel Henbest

Science Writer and broadcaster. He also has an asteroid named after him, Asteroid 3795 Nigel.

Unfortunately the team were unsuccessful in their bid to win a place in the semi-finals missing out by 60 points, scoring 125. They did however more than double the score of their opponents, Sussex, who managed just 60.

This Christmas, distinguished graduates from 14 Universities will compete for the title. After seven first-round matches, which began on the 20th December, the four teams with the highest winning scores will play in two semi-finals, with the winners meeting in the final, which will air on Friday 3 January.

Steve O’Connor, Director of Development and Alumni Relations at the University of Leicester, said:  “All four members of our team have gone on to achieve great success in their chosen fields since graduating from Leicester and their successes and commitment to their careers will give us a fantastic opportunity in the competition. We wish them the best of luck.”

Last year a team representing New College, Oxford, won the christmas edition.