Starter for 10

The University of Leicester opens trials for University Challenge.

Back in 1963, Leicester University won the very first series of University Challenge and have had little success since, but that could all be about to change.

The 1963 team

Two of the trials have already taken place, with more trials taking place on Thursday and Monday. All students are invited to take part in the trials. The final eight will then battle for a place on the official team in a showdown held in the same format as the show, on 21 November.

If you are interested in taking part full details of the trial can be found here, where you can click through to the sign-up sheet.

Who knows, maybe there is someone at the University of Leicester that could give Alex Guttenplan a run for his money? Guttenplan famously captained Emmanuel College, Cambridge to victory in 2010 with a score of 315.

Alex Guttenplan

Magdalen College, Oxford and University of Manchester are strong opponents should Leicester make it to the televised shows.

Magdalen College and Manchester have the most number of series wins, having both won four times. Whilst University College, Oxford, currently have the record for the highest score ever with 520 points in 1987.