Leicester University to trial new grade scheme

Leicester students to have their work marked from 0-4.25 rather than receiving the traditional class grading.

Leicester University is one of a small group of UK campuses to trial a new grading system, with Vice-Chancellor Sir Robert Burgess overseeing the scheme.

The GPA system, identical to the one used in the United States and many other countries, could replace the centuries old British tradition of the First, Upper Second, Lower Second and Third Class degree.

Tab Guide to GPA

Those in favour of changing the system suggest that the GPA gives a more accurate measurement of a student’s abilities. It has also been suggested that it will make degrees easier to compare internationally. Other perceived benefits include students remaining engaged throughout the duration of their degree programme.

Leicester University Vice-Chancellor, Sir Bob Burgess said: “I am very pleased that the University of Leicester is amongst the group of institutions piloting the introduction of the GPA. It gives the sector an opportunity to provide a wider range of marks to differentiate amongst students and to make their successes more internationally understood.”

Vice-Chancellor, Sir Robert Burgess

But students that The Tab spoke to aren’t so sure. Zain, a 2nd year Management and Finance student, said: “It’s one of the main things that differentiates the UK system from foreign ones, like the US for example.”

Christina, a 1st year International student, added: “It’s bad enough that I just got used to the British system, now I have to learn this one as well just in case. Why can’t it be simple like A, B, C etc?”

The scheme will be trialled throughout the present academic year and conclude in July.