Leicester Declared University of the Year Runner Up

University of Leicester secures another top accolade

Leicester becomes the crown in the East Midlands jewels for its performance in The Times and The Sunday Times University Guide 2014 league table.

The University of Leicester has secured its position as University of the Year runner-up as it placed 14th out of 120 institutions in the first ever joint Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014.

Rising three places from last years ranking of 17th in The Times University Guide, the judges of The Times/Sunday Times Guide claim the reason for this year’s higher position are threefold.

The last academic year was “a year of remarkable successes for the University,” according to Vice Chancellor Professor Sir Robert Burgess.who also claimed the main highlight of the year was when “the University achieved global attention for the discovery and identification of King Richard III.”

The University was also praised for its funding in facilities and it’s staffing as the judges stated: “..it is in or just outside the top ten nationally for staffing levels and spending on facilities as well as producing consistently high scores in the National Student Survey.”

The University’s Student Union winning the Higher Education Students’ Union of the Year award also helped the university move up the league table by three places in the last year, as well as secure it the runners-up spot in the University of the Year Award.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Robert Burgess said, “This accolade is a fitting tribute to the hard work and dedication of all of our staff, students, sponsors and supporters.”

The University’s position continues to rise as it is ranked 13th out of 119 institutions in The Guardian and in the top 2% of the universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings.