Leicester stumped by DMU at cricket varsity

DMUCC leave LUCC in a spin at the outdoor cricket varsity

LUCC were bowled over by a formidable DMUCC performance at Grace Road on Wednesday.

Around 250 students made the trip to the Leicestershire County cricket ground to watch Leicester’s Twenty20 varsity cricket match.  By the 4 o’clock start beer was already flowing with many looking forward to the final varsity fixture of the year.

Owzat!

DMU batted first and Leicester’s prospects looked good as the first ball of the match sent the stumps flying for a diamond duck, leaving the DMU opening batsman to make the long walk back to the pavilion.  However this only seemed to spur the rival team on, and DMU finished with a solid score of 132-6.

It was Leicester’s turn to bat after the break but, despite a formidable performance by Leicester batsman Jake Hurley scoring 37 runs, a win was already looking unlikely by the 10th over.  Leicester’s slow but steady run rate just wasn’t enough to chase down the DMU score, and the match finished with Leicester scoring 86-7.

After the match club captain Nick Johnson said ‘I am really proud of my team despite today’s disappointing result. We bowled and fielded really well but DMU produced a streetwise performance that was hard to match.  However, as a team we still won our league playing some fantastic all round cricket along the way.’

It was unfortunately a similar story for the (post Red Leicester) 2nds match the following day, with DMU having chased down Leicester’s score of 97-7 by the twelfth over.

Although perhaps not the Varsity season they hoped for, LUCC have nevertheless had a strong BUCS season finishing top of their league.  Without a doubt they’ll be back next year to continue the success and win back the varsity trophy while they’re at it!