Final Whistle for Varsity Pub?

London Road Varsity to be converted into a supermarket!

The Tab has learned that it is likely London Road’s Varsity, visited by almost every society and sports team that enjoys a drink or five, is to be converted into a Sainsbury’s supermarket.

The first indication of this devastating event for Leicester University’s drinkers came earlier last month, when the supermarket chain applied to the council for permission to convert the pub into a shop.  Furthermore, Sainsbury’s themselves confirmed that it had entered negotiations to acquire the much loved watering-hole and convert it into a supermarket.

Although it’s not officially confirmed whether the conversion will go ahead, permission has been granted by the council for the installation of a cash machine on the pub’s frontage.  Though convenient, it’s a foreboding sign that the London Road Varsity will go the way of its sister pub, the Varsity previously located on Friar Lane (DMU territory to you and me), which closed down at the start of this year.

Upon further investigation by The Tab, there also appears to be an off-license application for the sale of alcohol made by Sainsbury’s Ltd posted in the pub’s window.  Varsity were unable to comment on the matter.

Many of us have cherished memories of Varsity as a popular pre-Red Leicester stop off on the tail end of a bar crawl, or even just somewhere to go for a quiet drink on a weekend afternoon.  Third year history student Pete Marlow told The Tab “It’s a disgrace that Varsity will be converted into a Sainsbury’s, especially since there are already numerous shops within walking distance of London Road.  It’s nobly served as a final stop for many a great student bar crawl during my time in Leicester.  The cheap alcohol will be missed.”

It’s not all doom and gloom though!  The new Sainsbury’s, if built, will no doubt benefit those living in Evington.  As for bar crawls, The Loaded Dog will undoubtedly be the dominant establishment in that end of London Road.