Interview: John Helps

The Tab catches up with John Helps, organiser of Handmade Festival.

Handmade Festival is coming to Leicester on 24th of May and this is what the organiser, John Helps, had to say when I was able to catch up with him.

Mike Jeffs (M): What makes Handmade different from other city based festivals?

John Helps (J): It’s similar in many ways to events like The Camden Crawl, Great Escape and Dot to Dot in that it’s a festival taking place in multiple venues across a city with one wristband getting you in to all the shows, but that kinda just scratches the surface of what Handmade is. We’re going to be filling the locations with music where usually there would be none. We’re also throwing stand-up comedy, art and photography in to the mix, so it’s not just about noise all weekend.

M: What inspired the name?

J: It’s very much a ‘curated’ festival. It’s been put together by myself and a group of people who are really passionate about their various art forms. It’s stuff we really love and care about, and it’s been hand crafted in that respect.

M: What made Handmade the next step after White Noise?

J: Scott West from Codex Leicester and myself had been running White Noise Festival for about five years – it was exclusively ‘local’ bands. I kinda always had ambitions to spread it beyond that, and when it felt like it had reached it’s natural conclusion I decided to do something different. Handmade is the result of that I guess.

M: What are your general thoughts and opinions on the Leicester music scene?

J: I love the Leicester music scene. I’ve been involved in putting on shows and releasing records for about ten years now and some of the music that people in the city have been making in that time is truly mind-blowing.

M: Have you ever ‘asked Flimsy‘ anything?

J: No, I haven’t. Rachael Smith who draws Flimsy is involved with Handmade and will hopefully be exhibiting some of her illustration work. She is one of many little hidden gems in Leicester – people creating great things on a small scale – DIY in the most literal of senses.

flimsy!

M: Which artist/comedian are you looking forward to most?

J: I’m really excited about the whole festival, but Robin Ince is a bit of a hero of mine on the comedy side of things, and music wise I think Rolo Tomassi will be a great end to the first day, and Dutch Uncles on the Sunday should be incredible. It’s tough to pick favourites when you’ve been fortunate enough to pick a line-up full of bands you love.

John Helps is the guitarist in Maybeshewill, bassist in HerName is Calla, venue manager at Firebug and finally the creator and curator or Handmade Festival.

You can find out more about Handmade Festival here: http://handmadefestival.co.uk/

Handmade Lineup