Fencing Club have a stab at promotion

UoL Fencing Club two matches away from the BUCS Premier League

It has been a fantastic year for the University of Leicester Fencing Club and success could just get that little bit sweeter.

Leicester’s Fencing squad

After storming to the Midlands 1A League title, winning all eight fixtures, the club could well be promoted to the BUCS Premier League with only Newcastle and Strathclyde standing in the way.

Club captain Alex Tai is certainly excited about the prospect of entering the BUCS Premier League. He is immensely proud of his team who went unbeaten in division 1A on their way to becoming champions, adding that “it is such an enjoyable squad to be part of with every home and away match being a highlight.”

When asked about the highlights of the season, winning varsity was clearly a big one for Alex… “We smashed the poly. With fencers both experienced and new showing their impressive form to overwhelm DMU,” adding that “the support we received from the Fencing Club was flattering, with many spectators making the trek to QEII.” He is hoping that they can carry through the momentum from their comprehensive varsity victory as the club look forward to having another go at Newcastle in the play-offs, after losing out to them in the BUCS Trophy semi-final.

If they manage to reach the division they will be the first University of Leicester sports club to do so, making history for both the club and the university.

Men’s Foil Team – Tom Hall, Alex Tai, Kenny Lee, and Drew Phillipson

A cheeky one for the cameras

You can see the fencing club’s two promotion play-off matches against Strathclyde and Newcastle on Wednesday 24 April and Wednesday 8 May, respectively.