Men’s Tennis Varsity – Match Report

Michael Frost reports on the men’s varsity match at Carisbrooke tennis club

sport tennis varsity victory

Saturday was a huge success for Leicester Tennis club. Both the first team and second team came away from a long day at Carisbrooke Tennis club having embarrassed DMU. The first team winning 10-2 and the second team going one step further and winning 12-0.

From 10.30 in the morning until 8 in the evening supporters spurred the players on to what was the most comfortable victory in recent years. Even the weather failed to dampen the mood as in between downpours the BBQ was up and running, thanks to the club treasurer Andrew Shirra, and the drink was flowing from the bar.

First Team, from left to right: Phil Catherall, Danny McArdle, Liam Bligh, Martin George, Rob Humphries

Second Team, from left to right: Shashank Sharma, Peter Willson, Devesh Bhalla, Tim Bailles-Brown, Joe Iddison, Theo Bird, Mike Frost

The day started off well with two doubles victories for the second team pairs Joseph Iddison and Josh Melville at number 1, and Theo Bird and Devesh Bhalla at number 2. Tim Bailles-Brown, number 4 for the second team then stepped on to the court to claim a comfortable victory and his success was followed by numbers 1 and 2 for the first team, Phil Catherall and Danny McArdle respectively.

Despite his incredible form in the BUCS leagues, which earned him a call up to the first team, Martin George came up against a great player and narrowly missed out on the win but 1st team captain Rob Humphries, at number 3 for the first team, had more success on the next court, dropping only 2 games in his victory.

Peter Willson enjoyed another comfortable victory at number 2 for the second team, whilst Mike Frost made slightly more of a meal of his match at number 3, coming back from 2-6 2-5 down to force an enthralling comeback and take the victory.

The first team doubles pairs then stepped on to the court and continued the magnificent form that both teams were showing. The number two pair, Danny McArdle and Liam Bligh despatched their opponents 6-0, 6-0, known technically as a double-bagel. The number one pair looked down and out at 1-6 down in the first set but came back to punish their opponents in the second with a 6-1 win, and they went on to dominate in the championship tie-break claiming yet another victory.

What had been a hugely successful and enjoyable day was finished off in perfect fashion by Shashank Sharma who, at number 1 for the second team, stormed through the first set winning 6-0, and had he not decided to showboat it may have been the second double-bagel of the day but it didn’t matter as the match finished with a 6-3 second set win.

Doing the double over our rivals this year, in the BUCS leagues and varsity, and losing only two matches in the process, is something that the club should be extremely proud of. Congratulations to everyone involved!

A result worth celebrating!