Varsity Interview: Men’s Rugby

The Tab’s Chris O’Callaghan chats with First Team Full Back, Calum Howard.

”On the big occasion, on the big night, you can turn teams over.”

Chris O’Callaghan (CO): Let me take you back to this time last year and the game at Welford Road which DMU won, what are your thoughts on last year’s game?

Calum Howard (CH): I just thought it was atrocious to be honest, we were in the game but dropped three balls over the line and they just wanted it a bit more and were hungrier and more prepared. I think we were a bit complacent after the big 2011 win and that came back to bite us on the ass a bit but what can you do really when that sort of stuff happens? We just had to move on really.

CO:  They were a very good DMU team, much improved on the 2011 team which were well beaten by Leicester.

CH: Definitely, they weren’t the same level, they were sharp. We had beaten them twice already that season in the league so they had obviously picked their game up a lot from when we played them before and put big scores on them but that is what Varsity does – on the big occasion, on the big night, you can turn teams over.

CO: Let’s take you into this year’s season, how has the form of the 1st XV been this year?

CH: It was really good up until Christmas when we were 2nd in our league and pushing for promotion to Prem B but since then, our four games in hand we lost, some in the last few minutes which is a bit gutting and has put us down to 4th or 5th but the team is coming along quite well. We’ve regrouped and we’re getting there week by week. We have had some very close games with Warwick, beat them once and lost once, beaten Nottingham a few times, beaten Loughborough 3s so it’s coming along quite nicely.

CO: So you’ve been playing good solid teams then? You haven’t been playing weak teams, you’ve faced off against some of the best university teams in the Midlands?

CH: We’re in the highest Midlands league so we’re playing some very good sides, Warwick, Nottingham, Loughborough and Harper Adams who are near Wales and a very good side. Whereas DMU are in the league below where they’re playing teams not as good, we’re playing very strong opposition week in and week out.

CO: So unlike last year, you haven’t played against DMU’s 1st XV this season?

CH: No, we haven’t had any contact with them. I think our 2nd team has played their 1st and 2nd teams but we haven’t played them at all. I like that to be honest, last year and the year before we had pre-conceived ideas. This time, we don’t know what is going to come out of the DMU changing room.

CO: Tell me a little bit about this year’s team, how does it compare to the 2012 team?

CH: I think it’s basically the same team because a lot of last year’s team was Freshers and Second Years because the Third Years last year were quite weak but the players have come on a hell of a lot. We had a few good players last year who have turned out to be quite exceptional this year. Kieran Robinson in the centre has turned out quite a lot, as has our captain Pricey (Jonny Pryce), the number 12 in the backs and Ebenezer (Ikeddiashi) has played well this year.  We’ve got a firm and solid front row aswell. There aren’t many changes to the team but all the players have come on from last year and improved.

CO: You’ve mentioned a few players there and I know you’ve been tipped by some as the Man to Watch because of your performance in the 2011 game when you won Man of the Match but who is the player to watch this year? Not yourself of course…..

CH: I would go with (Jack) Mutch and Kieran Robinson, our Number 10 and 13 respectively. Both are highly rated. In the forwards, Ebb will be quite good if he decides to pass the ball and Tom Walker, the hooker, has put in a lot of effort this year. He won’t mind me saying the line out at the start of the year was pretty bad but it has been pretty much perfect the last couple of weeks, he’s really come on as a player so he’ll be one to watch as well.

CO: Can I get a score prediction?

CH: I would say Leicester 39 DMU 15. I think both sides will get a few tries and penalties early in the match and then hopefully it will open up and we can assert some dominance and give the paying crowd what they want.

CO: A very diplomatic answer. Calum, thank you very much for your time, best of luck on the night, I’ll be there screaming your name as I have in the last two years and good luck again.

Tickets for the Rugby Varsity match are on sale until Wednesday 20th March and are available from the Point, Rugby Players and from the stall outside Queens Hall. You can also buy a DMWHO t-shirt from the Rugby boys which will give you fast track entry in Red Leicester after the game.

The Women’s match kicks off at 6.30pm with the men’s game which closes the Varsity season kicking off at 8pm.