Suspension-hit Leicester sunk by DMU

The full report from Monday’s Mens Varsity football game! UoL Mens 1st XI 1 – 2 DMU Mens 1st XI

Two first half goals from N’do Chilaka saw De Montfort University retain the men’s football varsity title on a freezing cold night at the King Power Stadium.

The build up to the game was dominated by the issue of the suspension of six key first team players from the University of Leicester, but the makeshift XI which ended up including a player who has spent all season in the 4th team were only narrowly beaten in a tight game which neither side dominated.

The Leicester boys inspect the pitch

Pre-match formalities before playing the biggest game of the season

Leicester looked tidy with possession and used the size of the King Power pitch to keep and move the ball across the back four and midfield, with Tom Cole playing a key role in keeping the ball moving. However, it was in the final third where the Leicester boys came unstuck, with Jack McQuibban playing a long striker role against a tight and organised DMU defence.

The deadlock was finally broken by Chilaka in the 38th minute. A long ball was played into the box from the right back area and Chilaka held off Adrien Assinor, controlled the ball with his thigh and turned and hit the ball on the half volley across goal past Alex Wood. Think Didier Drogba against Liverpool a few years ago but a lot closer. It was a fine finish which silenced the Leicester faithful who had been vocal in support of the team despite the arctic conditions.

Chilaka killed the game off in added time at the end of the first half. He was played through on goal and, evading the offside trap, slotted the ball away left footed in the bottom right hand corner. It was a hammer blow to the Leicester team who had continued to have periods of possession after the opener and were beginning to dominate the game.

The second half was all one way traffic with Leicester pinning DMU back in their half for the majority of the second period. Once again though, they were unable to find the killer pass to release McQuibban who spent too long isolated up front. Zak Boggs continued to impress for Leicester but the American was unable to beat the DMU keeper, despite a few shots and a volley from a corner which were all dealt with. Matt Van-Mol Jones looked lively after his introduction to the game and the fresher will be looking to cement a starting place in future Varsity matches.

With the match moving into the final moments and the Leicester crowd giving up and going home for hot drinks, Leicester did knick a consolation goal. From a corner, not cleared by the De Montfort defence, stand-in captain Aaron Wootton nodded in from close range and it was nothing less than the big man deserved for his leadership and performance.

The scoreline will be overshadowed by the issue the bans given to six first team players, but despite the makeshift team assembled by Alex Jelenje, the boys played very well against a very good DMU side.

Man of the Match: Aaron Wootton. The big centre back dominated everything that came near him and led admirably from the back in the absence of regular captain Alex Jelenje. A notable mention should also be given to the little man with the big ability, Tom Cole, whose performance in the middle of midfield reminded me of Luka Modric in his prime.