We spoke to Lancaster Nightline about volunteering and how students can get involved

‘It’s a place to get anything you want off your chest, and is completely anonymous and non-judgmental.’

Ever been jumpscared in the library by someone dressed up as a mascot elephant and not sure why? We spoke to Kat and Dunni, two of the volunteer team behind Lancaster Nightline about the service that they offer on campus, and why the role of student volunteers is so valuable.

Dunni explained that Nightline is a free listening and information service that is offered over the phone, by IM on the website and by email. It’s entirely confidential, and it’s run for students, by students. She explained that it’s there if students “need a listening ear, if they’re going through a tough time or just need to talk at night, when people tend to be more in their feels or struggle a bit more”

Nightline don’t work with the university welfare team, and are instead affiliated with the wider network of Nightlines across the country, managed by the Nightline Association. Kat explained that, “It’s a different way for people to talk about something, especially if it’s a bit more personal. We’ll never report back to the university and we don’t know who the callers are, they don’t know who we are. It’s a place to get anything you want off your chest, and is completely anonymous and non-judgmental.”

‘It’s a fun, rewarding thing’

Kat and Dunni are two of the public facing volunteers: most stay anonymous. Students can volunteer in one of two ways, call taking, or marketing and publicity. Call taking volunteers are the ones who answer the phone, message or email, they’re completely anonymous and only other people inside the service know who they are. Kat said, “They’re all fully trained, and our training is approved by both LUSU and the Nightline Association. Call taking is a really fun, rewarding thing to do – you get to help people.”

Dunni explained that “Publicity are the forward facing part of the service, go to events, manage social media, and make sure people are aware of the service. We also run the Instagram, and organise digital displays at the university, that type of thing. It’s a really good way to get involved if you’re not interested in actually speaking to people, because it’s not for everyone!”

‘I’ve learned a lot of skills’

We asked what skills Nightline has helped them develop, to which, Kat said, “I found it really rewarding, and also very skill building. I’ve learned a lot of skills in empathy, and active listening, and now as External Director, management and safeguarding.”

Dunni said, “It’s a great way to build skills. It really helps build confidence in public speaking, engaging people, and also it’s just a really lovely community.”

For call takers, the application process consists of a short form to fill out, with why you would like to join, what you think you can bring to the service, and any access needs you might have. You hear back on whether you have been accepted, and following that there is a two week training period and brief assessment to pass before you can start. Applications for call takers are currently closed and will reopen at the start of Lent term, and you can register your interest for this round of applications with the team here.

Applications for publicity volunteers are open year round, and again this consists of a short application form, followed by an hour long introduction session. The link to apply can be found here.

Subject to change, Lancaster Nightline are open Monday – Wednesday 10-1am for IMs via their website, Thursday – Sunday 10-3am for phone calls on 01524 594 444 and IMs via their website, and 24/7 for emails to [email protected].

Featured image by Lancaster Nightline. 

Related articles recommended by this writer: