Brothers Lyle and Erik Menendez resentencing press conference live

Live: The Menendez brothers’ resentencing press conference is happening right now

Lyle and Erik Menendez may be freed

Right now, a press conference is taking place discussing the possibility of a resentencing for brothers, Lyle and Erik Menendez. The brothers are currently serving life sentences without the chance of parole for the murders of their parents, José and Kitty Menendez.

Following the release of Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story and The Menendez Brothers on Netflix, there has been a huge surge in interest in the case once again. There has also been new evidence in the case, as people call for the brothers to be freed from prison, after over 30 years behind bars.

Update: George Gascón has said “after a very careful review” he thinks resentencing is appropriate, and will recommended this to a court tomorrow (Friday 25th). He will request the sentence of life without parole be removed, and instead be changed to a murder count, sentenced to life (with chance of parole). 

This would change the sentence to between 50 years to life, and due to the age of the brothers when the crime took place, would mean they are “eligible for parole immediately”. A court will have to agree with this decision.

George Gascón added the DA office came to no “universal agreement” as some people did not believe the brothers were ever abused, whereas others thought the brothers should be released right away. He noted the case had been brought forward because of the popularity of the Netflix series and documentary.

via YouTube / Associated Press

Last year, the brothers launched a new appeal, after new evidence alleged their father had also molested boy-band member Roy Rosello. Roy has claimed his abuse started in the early 80s, when he was a minor. At the time, José Menendez was working as an executive at RCA Records. The Menendez brothers’ attorney filed a petition in May last year citing both Rosello’s claims and a letter given as evidence meant their convictions should be quashed.

Their attorney, Cliff Gardner, said: “The boys were abused as children. They were abused their whole life…and this is a manslaughter case, not a murder case. It’s just that simple.”

The new evidence also includes a letter that attorney Gardner has said was written by Erik Menendez to his cousin, Andy Cano, in December 1988, about eight months before the crime. The letter, which was never presented originally in court, said: “I’ve been trying to avoid dad. It’s still happening, Andy, but it’s worse for me now. … Every night I stay up thinking he might come in. … I’m afraid. … He’s crazy. He’s warned me a hundred times about telling anyone, especially Lyle.”

Watch the live press conference of the resentencing hearing for Lyle and Erik Menendez here:

The Menendez Brothers is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.