Lancaster University releases new guidelines for generative AI usage

The university have updated the guidance for the new academic year

Lancaster University has updated its policy on the permitted uses and limitations of Generative Artificial Intelligence (Gen AI)  in an academic setting.

The new guidance includes a colour-coded categorisation system that details when and where AI can be used.

The “AI Usage Guidance” restricts both staff and student usage, but makes it clear that the university sees it as an academic tool.

Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) Professor Wendy Robinson and University Academic Dean Professor Alisdair Gillespie introduced new institutional guidance that applies to all staff and students at Lancaster. This comes after the increased capabilities and usage of AI since the guidance was last updated in late 2023.

Underlining the policy gives the understanding and acknowledgement that AI has fantastic potential to help students and staff solve complex problems, organise their thoughts more effectively, and provide instant feedback on drafts along with an untold number of other uses.

However, there remain concerns over academic integrity in cases where AI is used improperly. The university said: “[Gen AI] mustn’t replace the critical thinking and originality required in assessments.”

The new guidance sets out a traffic light system of Gen AI usage in assessment. The colour red bans the usage of Gen AI altogether, amber allows students to use it in an assistive role, and green is used where Gen AI plays an integral role in the assessment. This aids tutors in designing assessments which enhance learning. It also allows for a shared understanding of how AI can and will be used.

Students will also be expected to properly acknowledge the use of Gen AI in their work, with the full guidance being on ASK. The university also released in their guidance that they want students to name both the version of AI and the publisher, the URL and a brief explanation of how it has been used.

The university is also cracking down on what it refers to as “Language Enhancement Applications” (LEA’s) and paraphrasing tools. Whilst LEAs such as the free version Grammarly are allowed if you’re just using them to check grammar and spelling, the university has placed strict bans on paid ones which risk plagiarism.

The full guidance can be found here.

Related articles recommended by this writer: