Breaking News

Lancs to remain in Tier Two of lockdown after last-minute decision

The government was expected to announce tougher restrictions for Lancs

In a surprise move, Lancashire will remain in Tier Two of local lockdown restrictions.

It was expected that the government was going to announce a shift for the area from Tier Two – “high alert” – to Tier Three – “very high” – this morning, as Health Secretary Matt Hancock addressed the House of Commons. However, Lancashire was not named as one of the regions that would be having its alert level altered, meaning that Lancs remains in Tier Two.

Leader of Lancashire County Council, Geoff Driver, had said that the shift of the area from Tier Two to Tier Three was inevitable, and with the increasing rate of transmission of the virus across Lancashire then it was not a matter of if new restrictions come, but when they come.

It is worth noting that Lancashire earned a “last minute reprieve” on Tuesday, when it was announced that the area would be classed as a Tier Two area, and not a Tier Three one. The Council are preparing for Tier Three restrictions to hit the area in the near future.

Discussions between local and central government are ongoing, and new measures may be introduced with agreement between the Council and the government.

All of the current advice and restrictions for Lancs still stands, and they can be found here.