King’s confirms online teaching until at least mid-February

Online teaching may be extended to the rest of the semester

All programmes that don’t require practical learning will “be delivered fully online” under new government restrictions.

In an email sent out to students, Vice President Professor Nicola Phillips and Executive Director of education and students Darren Willis confirm that these restrictions will last “until at least mid-February” but that it is not currently possible “to put a timeline on when we will be able to adjust back to our blended learning approach”. As a result, students and staff must be prepared for online only teaching to extend into March and the rest of the semester.

In line with government advice, “on-campus teaching will only be provided for a limited number of programmes which require practical learning for professional qualifications, primarily clinical programmes”. Students on these programmes will be updated by their department to any further changes.

The section of the email explaining teaching plans for semester 2

As a result, King’s advises students they “should stay where you currently are, whether that is your winter break accommodation or at your term time address” in line with government restrictions unless they have scheduled on-campus teaching.

Despite the majority of teaching being moved online, the email confirms “libraries and some study spaces are able to remain open for those students who have compelling reasons to come to campus, such as an inadequate study environment at home or for mental health reasons”. Students can book a library study space or use an informal learning space on campus with more information available at Student Services Online.

The email also highlights resources that are available to support students in online learning and assessment due to King’s significant investment in “online learning teaching platforms and resources to provide the same high-quality education so you can fully engage in, and succeed with, your studies”. These resources can be found here.