King’s confirms lectures will be online until January 2021

Some seminars and labs will take place in person

King’s College London confirms lectures will be online until January 2021 in an email sent around to students.

This afternoon the university sent round a university-wide email with an attached video from Professor Nicola Phillips, Vice Principal for Education, explaining the plans for the start of the academic year 2020/2021.

The video explains that whilst campus will be open (with social-distance measures implemented) lectures and other large group teachings will be delivered online.

Seminars, tutorials, and some lab practicals will take place in person with smaller group sizes than usual.

The combination of online and campus-based teaching has been implemented to ensure safe social-distancing and considering international travel restrictions.

The plan, posted on King’s coronavirus information page stated:

“We will offer a combination of on-campus teaching and learning with online delivery, to ensure that our students can access the high-quality King’s education that is highly respected by employers around the globe, as well as an enriching university experience.

• Governed always by safe distancing and safety measures, we are preparing for small group teaching activities including seminars, tutorials, some laboratory sessions and other practical learning activities to be delivered on campus. Some of these activities will also be delivered through the enhanced use of technology.
  • With safe distancing guidelines in place it will not be possible to run some activities on-campus. Lectures and other kinds of larger group teaching will be delivered online for at least the first semester.
  • Appropriate and specific measures will be introduced across the King’s estate such as enhanced cleaning, sanitiser stations at entrances and in common spaces, and members of our community will be encouraged to wear face coverings. If a student becomes unwell with COVID-19 symptoms we have a robust and clear process to support them.
  • In addition to our education plans, we are working with King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) to develop imaginative ways to ensure our students have opportunities to enjoy welcome week, connect with London, volunteer, and engage in social activities so they can share experiences with fellow students and make new friends. We will share more details about these in the coming weeks.
  • We know that some students may need to join us in London later in the academic year. Where academic programme requirements allow, we will provide opportunities for remote study in Semester 1 (September – December 2020) so students can continue to participate fully in their studies.
  • All students will continue to have access to our wide range of online services, support, guidance and learning resources to enable them to study effectively.
  • The wellbeing of our students is paramount, and we have a range of support services available which includes access to mental health counselling and confidential support.”

Professor Edward Byrne, President & Principal of King’s College London, has said:

“We are developing a flexible approach for the start of the new academic year – one that prioritises the safety and wellbeing of our community of students and staff, offering a combination of on-campus teaching, where safely possible, with online delivery where we need to.

“We are a global community committed to providing our students with an excellent learning and an enriching university experience, wherever they are in the world and whatever their circumstances.”