What you can expect to see on Sports Night at Guy’s Bar

See it off m8

1.       Fancy dress

Apparently, nothing says “we’re a team” more than collectively sporting clothing that you would never wear solo. Themed fancy dress features on essentially a weekly basis, be it actual costumes, boys walking round in skirts (something all men seem to really love doing) or the classic we’re-all-wearing-the-same-colour look, which is probably pretty useful for locating your teammates when you’ve had a few too many later on in the night. 

2.       Chants

Group formed. Chant at the ready.

A Wednesday night simply wouldn’t be the same without someone breaking out in carefully the carefully crafted lyrical prose of a sports team chant.

Loaded in sophistication, it’s amazing that anyone ever learns these chants by heart. How Guy’s hockey team ever came up with a response to challenge the KCL team’s “GKT- w**k ,w**k, w**k” is beyond us.

3.       Vomit

Insight into one of the causes of the vomit :/

At some point during the night, there will be vomit. Be it on the dance floor, over the bar, all over the toilet cubicle (never actually just in the toilet) or all down the front of someone, it will be there. It’s not that Guy’s students don’t know their limits- not only are this lot sporty, they’re also often medics- it’s that they choose to ignore them. After all, if someone takes it too far, there’s a lot to be learnt in A and E.

4.       The electric slide

An old time classic and apparent favourite at Guy’s bar and something we wish would catch on at Walkabout. Not that the weekly rendition of “Baby got back” isn’t great.

5.       A very full cloakroom

No amount of negotiating will get you in here-we tried 🙁

The cloakroom at Guy’s bar is something really special. Not only is it completely packed week in, week out, providing somewhat of an obstacle course for the poor soul manning the rails, but they also have some bizarre rules by which you can’t use the hangers of the fallen students who have had to leave early, due to their inability to hack it. It’s like a strange memorial to those defeated by the night – “Here hung her coat. She was strong and fierce. Until she vommed.”

6.       Segregation

That’s right. Up until 9pm, the guys are allegedly not allowed to talk to the girls as it is deemed as cheating in the competitive race to “get a girl”.

7.       Finding love

Valentines Day obviously came early

Well, not love, as such…but potentially a proposal. With a condom. It’s all terribly romantic at Guy’s Bar on a Wednesday night.

It’s a typical night – the girls are innocently dancing, laughing, drinking. Then a guy comes out of nowhere and bends down on one knee. As if that situation wasn’t bizarre enough, he pulls out a condom (unopened, just for clarification) and asks the girl of his choice (well the girl he was dared to ask by his teammates) if she will marry him. Needless to say, the proposal was not accepted.

8.       ‘Mature antics’

Not your average party balloon…

It was not hard to spot the various balloons floating around the room. Of course, they were not your standard balloon – more of a condom-style replica. You’d turn your head the other way, only to see people drinking out the blown-up condoms. Maybe it’s SHAG week?

9. The ‘Flamingo’

Evidently, the male population at Guy’s bar deem themselves to be trend-setters and have invented this completely insane move. They drink out of a flamingo-shaped cup and down their drink…whilst standing on one leg. Get the reference? Good. They then prove the beverage has been consumed by putting the cup on their head.

10.   The formation of new friendships

When 2 become 1…

Guy’s bar has no specific opening time, drinks are cheap and it’s free entry. Confidence is on a power high and new bonds will be formed. Whether it is you simply not realising all of your friends went to the bar and you find some poor innocent soul to chat to or you stumbling to the toilet and finding your long-lost undiscovered “bestie” in there. You can turn up to Guy’s on a Wednesday, not knowing anyone and leave with friends. Excellent.