John Moores fresher stabbed friend over a baseball cap

He used a seven inch carving knife

A vicious John Moores fresher attacked his friend with a knife during an argument over a baseball cap.

Symon Berthier, studying Science and Football, stabbed Michael Ray after his hat was thrown on top of a wardrobe.

Judge Clement Goldstone QC adjourned the court for sentencing – Berthier could now face jail for the violent incident.

Liverpool Crown Court

Berthier attacked his friend with a seven inch carving knife on 8 March this year, after “horse-play” got out of hand.

The freshers were drinking in a flat at Liberty Atlantic Point on Naylor Street when Mr Ray stole the cap from Berthier’s head and threw it across the room.

Mr Ray said if the cap had gone out of the window Berthier threatened he would have “bottled him”.

Berthier then went into the kitchen and returned shortly afterwards, reportedly calmer.

But he later pulled out the knife and stabbed Mr Ray in his upper thigh before pacing up and down the corridor, leaving a friend to tend to Ray’s injuries.

Mr Ray said he was left in a lot of pain and had to regularly visit a medical centre.

The court heard he now has a permanent scar and cannot sleep at night.

Atlantic Point

Berthier told police that he and Mr Ray had been “good friends”.

He said he had three bottles of Corona but was not drunk.

Judge Clement Goldstone, QC, said: “He armed himself with a weapon quite deliberately.”

Berthier admitted wounding.

Paul Wood, defending, said his client was sorry.

He said Berthier, wearing a grey suit in the dock, was the youngest of six children and the son of an accountant.

Mr Wood said: “This case is I would submit a classic example of immature behaviour.”

He said John Moores hoped Berthier could continue his studies and he had continued studying while living back home in Essex.

The court heard he has no previous convictions.

Judge Goldstone said he wanted more information from the university.

He adjourned sentencing until 15 September .