What do people say about you and your girlfriend?

Late night lesbian lingo

Straight couples don’t want you involved in their moment and neither do we.

Nights out can generally seem like a sweaty array of testosterone fuelled behaviour and sports socials.

But as the party progresses and you’re about to pull, that’s when the “banter” goes too far.

Once again that drunken moron who has never seen a lesbian before butts in and ruins the moment – brilliant.

Lauren Blakey, Forensic Science, graduate

“So once I was getting a drink in Level at the bar and some guy offered to buy me a drink.

“I politely refused but he was still quite persistent.

“After a while I told him that I’m gay and I really wasn’t feeling it and he said ‘I could turn you straight.’”

Jessica Tinney, Criminology, second year

“I was trying to tell a guy I really wasn’t interested when I was out in Envy. Eventually I dropped the gay bomb and he said ‘Why are you in a straight club if you’re gay?’

“Another time I was chatting to this girl outside a pub back home and she said ‘Oh, I’ve always wanted to make out with a lesbian, but I’m not gay.’

“My girlfriend and I were having a smoke outside Bumper and got drunkenly chatting to a couple of people outside. After a while the conversation drifted to us being a couple and one of the people just slipped in ‘Have you ever slept with a man? How can you know you’re gay if you haven’t tried dudes?’

“On a girls night out you always have that one friend who clearly isn’t as okay as she says she is. We were out in Spoons having a drink and the conversation, unfortunately, began with ‘I’m not against gay people, one of my best friends is gay, but…'”

Mel Howard, Law and Criminal Justice, second year

“I got hit on by some sleazy guy in Krazy House on a night out, and I tried to explain to him that I was gay and didn’t particularly enjoy kissing guys, so he said ‘Do you really kiss girls? Prove it.’

“‘Do you scissor?’ has cropped up too many times on nights out. I’d be speaking to someone in Superstar or something about dating a girl and that’d be the first question they’d ask.”

Hollie Hayes, Journalism, second year

“There’s been times when I’ve pointed out someone’s good looking who looks a little masculine, a lot of my friends usually ask ‘If you like girls then why are you dating someone who looks like a man?’

“Another time my girlfriend and I were in the smoking area at Level having a cheeky kiss on a night out and out of the blue some guy came up to us, licked my face and asked: ‘Can I join in?'”

Laura Outten, Events Management, graduate

“Once I was being hit on by a guy in Level and I told him I was gay, and he just responded with ‘But you don’t look gay…’

“‘Which one of you is the man?’ is the worst one. I got that outside a club in gaytown once, never again.”

Alessandra Lewis, Sports Development, graduate

“A couple of times I’ve been dancing with a girl in Garlands and some nutter has come up to us saying ‘Your girlfriend is really hot, do you want a threesome?’

“Literally every straight girl I see in a club, and the occasional gay man, say to me ‘Oh my God I’m so sorry, I thought you were a guy'”

Jess Cook, Outdoor Education, Third year

“Not even on a night out, a lot of people always say ‘How do lesbians have sex?’ whether it be at a social event or just at the pub.”