A Glasgow Law fresher was put in a coma by a single punch

He was attacked outside Firewater

A Glasgow University Law student was left in a coma after a single punch knocked him out, a court heard.

19-year-old Rhys Kane reportedly punched Michael McElhinney outside Firewater on Sauchiehall Street in May last year.

Michael had previously tried to stop a fight. The court heard he appeared to kick out at someone during a clash between groups of friends, The Scottish Sun reports.

Glasgow Sheriff Court

Both had been on a night out with mates when an argument started near a takeaway. Michael was injured when he stepped in to try and break up the fight.

The punch knocked the student onto the ground, where he hit his head. The impact left him with a bleed on the brain and was in intensive care for six weeks.

Rhys had been hoping to join the navy, however, he could face prison after admitting to the attack.

He pleaded guilty to assaulting Michael and admitted to causing him severe injury, permanent disfigurement, and danger of life.

Rhys is now on bail and awaits his sentence at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

The prosecution told the court: “Mr McElhinney or Kane didn’t start the fight or throw the first blow.

“When he takes a step back, Kane punches him once on the head.

“This causes him to fall and strike his head on the pavement. He is then unconscious.”

After Michael fell unconscious, Rhys fled the scene while his victim was taken to hospital for specialist treatment.

“Mr McElhinney sustained a fractured skull and bleeding to the brain,” the Prosecution told the court. “He was placed in an induced coma for surgery.”

Michael needed intensive care and physiotherapy as a result of the attack.

“He has suffered with his speech as well as problems with eating.” said the Prosecution. “He could suffer from the injuries in later life. His doctor stated that there was a threat to life.”

The attack forced the fresher to spread his course over 24 months. When his attacker was arrested he asked police: “Is the guy okay?”

The defence argued Rhys was “under provocation.” He told the court: “It is totally unfortunate the manner that leads to Mr McElhinney’s serious injuries.

“Kane is someone who, but for this incident, would embark for a career in the navy.”

The case was adjourned by Sheriff Alan MacKenzie for reports.