Everything you need to know about Edinburgh’s FLY Festival

Red Stripe, techno and a castle backdrop

If someone mentioned FLY Festival last September, they probably would have been met by confused looks. Only the clued-up techno fans were aware of the upcoming event in September 2016, which was situated outside in Edinburgh's Princes Gardens, with a picturesque Edinburgh Castle as the backdrop.

Oh so Instagrammable

Oh so Instagrammable

Now, ask anyone and they'll know what FLY Festival is about. It's run by techno experts FLY Club and the last installment was in May, which was hosted at a bigger and better site in the form of Hopetoun House. This event definitely projected the festival onto students' radars and it became a haven for techno lovers, or purely for regular punters suffering from the loss of T in the Park and in need of a banging festival day out.

For the third time, FLY Festival is back this Saturday 23rd September and this time it is again in Princes Gardens. The Tab Glasgow will therefore run you through everything you need to know about it, whether you were lucky enough to nab a ticket or if you're contemplating going the next time (which, after the fomo from this weekend, you definitely will be).

The deets

The festival is a one day event, kicking off this Saturday at 12pm at the Gardens' bandstand and continuing until 11pm, and last entry is 5pm but we'd recommend going down as soon as possible. There are after parties (some tickets included these in the price) being hosted by FLY Club all over the city after the event ends. The event is actually sold out but keep an eye out for tickets being resold on Resident Advisor.

How to get there

If you're coming from further afield, a bus or a train would be good options transport-wise as the location is near Edinburgh Waverley Station and the city's bus park. If you live in Edinburgh, the location is easy to get to via tram or taxi.

The lineup

Techno lovers will be rejoicing as this September's FLY has a banging lineup. From smaller FLY resident DJs to big names like headliners Eats Everything (creator of banger Let's Go Dancing – you will know it) and old-skool Lil' Louis, the lineup is juicy yet varied. The fact that it's an open air festival compliments the techno genre as its refreshing to enjoy the music without being in the usual smokey, dark and questionably lightened tech club. You definitely don't have to be a die-hard techno fan to enjoy the music though, as the atmosphere creates a unique experience for everyone.

Eats Everything are set to headline this September

The layout

When you're facing the stage, the view of Edinburgh Castle overlooking the gardens is phenomenal and creates an unbeatable atmosphere which reaches its peak during sunset when darkness creeps in. The bandstand is big enough for a crowd at the stage but if you need a bit more space there is enough room to sit at the back or just stand without being crammed in. Last time, there were two massive bars with a plethora of Red Stripe (of course) available as well as your other standard festival pints and wines. You rarely had to queue at the bars or toilets as there's a large selection of Portaloos – it wouldn't be a festival vibe without them. Coming into the event there were multiple food stands as well if you find yourself getting hangry.

The castle provides an amazing atmosphere

What to wear

With events like these, you could wear a bin bag or your pjs and get away with it. However, if you want to go full techno stereotype a good shout for girls is shorts (it's supposed to be sunny weather), a sequin top and braids as well as the usual white-girl accessories like chokers and fishnet tights. You just can't go too OTT. And obviously, glitter is highly encouraged. For boys, you don't want to look like a ned on a day out, but black skinnies and a standard pullover jumper would do the trick – Adidas optional, cap essential. The only festival attire to avoid would be wellies as the bandstand is concrete and you might look a bit weird if you're prepared for T in the Park-style mud up to your neck. Definitely bring a waterproof just in case as you are outside all day.

Be sure to stock up on glitter

Be sure to stock up on glitter

Extra info

Now you know the logistics, just stand back and have a good ol' time. We promise you the atmosphere is like nothing else you have ever experienced. Remember to look out for re-sold tickets on Resident Advisor and book your transport if you're travelling down. We'll see you there!