‘Large lectures will not take place on campus’ says Cardiff Uni

An update was sent by the Pro Vice-Chancellor on Monday morning

The Pro Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff University, Claire Morgan, has released a statement detailing their plans for the upcoming academic year.

She begins by saying she wants to “reassure” students that the plan is “to open our campus in September 2020”.

However, the statement goes on to say that it will be “necessary to look at new and innovative ways to deliver the Cardiff University experience without compromising our public health requirements.” This means teaching will have to be “flexible” and “adaptable” so that a “high quality” learning experience remains in place.

As a result, the Pro Vice-Chancellor said that “Large lectures will not take place on campus.” Instead, the university will “continue with engaging and enhanced online learning activities and classes, together with on-campus teaching and learning.”

However, the university said that they are “exploring some small-group teaching on campus” where social distancing requirements can be met. It was also stated that the university buildings are being reworked in order to “maximise the space” and, therefore, “deliver as much learning on-site as possible.”

The university said they are “considering” how to open libraries, and regarding years abroad, study trips and work placements, information will be shared with students “as soon as we have it.”

“Our plan is to contact you in mid-August to confirm all arrangements to help you prepare for the start of the new year.”