Cardiff Uni sponsors Tuk-Tuk Travels

Teachers Richard Sears and Nick Gough drive their tuk-tuk into the record books

Cardiff University proudly sponsored wacky duo of teachers Richard Sears and Nick Gough to chug their way round the world in an open-sided, three-wheeled rickshaw.

The dynamic duo, seen here with Barack Obama

The teachers even had to drag their faulty vehicle up a Peruvian mountain along the way. In what they described as a “nightmare moment” the vehicle’s faltering engine stopped working altogether, which meant Nick had to strap a rope round himself and haul the Tuk-Tuk (which weighs almost a ton) 43 miles uphill to secure their place in the record books.

Not quite your standard trip to Kwik Fit

Sponsors have been flooding in for the pair, whose selfless mission was planned to raise money for children living in poverty. After travelling through deprived areas in Kenya, Uganda and now South America, the unlikely couple have encountered many bemused onlookers, but the cash keep rolling in.

The Tab isn’t the first paper to cover the adventurers

They have been endorsed by hundreds of schools, colleges and universities, including Cardiff University and have even been sent messages of support from explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes and actress Joanna Lumley.

Vroom with a view

But they haven’t finished yet – they will have to keep on past the previous record of 23,300 miles to reach their final destination, Rio de Janerio, having begun their journey in London 15 months ago.