Review: Peter Pan

Act One’s musical theatre hot shot Glen Jordan donned his Christmas jumper and hot footed it over to the Sherman for their festive show.

Reviewer: Glen Jordan

Being very familiar with the original, I was intrigued at this “magical reimagining of J.M Barrie’s classic story”. A ‘reimagining’ of such a classic tale is a hard feat for anyone, when an audience is so used to a specific aesthetic and tone to a piece. However, this production of ‘Peter Pan’ at the Sherman Cymru was truly a magic experience.

It truly does take something special to make you feel truly nostalgic and long for your childhood days; This is exactly what this production did for me. I was sat in the audience wishing that I could once again live those innocent moments where flying across a city seemed as easy as thinking of something happy. A special mention has to go to Meilir Rhys Williams in the role of ‘Michael/Tootles’, his infectious innocence in the role was truly refreshing and he shone from the very first line to the moment the curtain dropped. A true star turn if ever there was one.

Vocally, the show was hit and miss. When the singing was good, it was great. However, at times the competence of certain performers was called into question. A special mention here must go to Daniel Williams in the role of “Jamie / Curley”. His voice was delightful, and soared through the auditorium effortlessly. Another mention goes to Joshua Considine in the title role of ‘Peter Pan’. His Act Two solo performance was touching, laced with the perfect mixture of childishness and concern, a truly great number.

The set was imaginative and the eye popping colours made the whole audience feel truly transported to another world. This marvelous set combined with the top vocal and comedic brilliance of Meilir Rhys Williams and Daniel Williams had the children in the audience howling with laughter, and the adults taken back to their youth with vibrant clarity. One for the entire family, this show is a brilliant evening out! ‘Peter Pan‘ once again reminded me of how important theatre is for young people, and the Sherman deserves due credit here for bringing important pieces of art to a wide audience.