RAG homelessness appeal receives overwhelming support

The appeal has raised £3,725 at the time of writing.

An appeal set up to raise money for the homeless charity Wintercomfort has so far proved a success with Cambridge students and the broader community. With a justgiving.com page made yesterday, the emergency appeal smashed its initial target of £1000 in just one hour, and has since upgraded its target to £5000.

The appeal was established by the charitable organisation RAG (Raising and Giving) in reaction to the abnormally cold weather. Temperatures as low as -6°c and the continual snow present a serious, potentially fatal risk to those sleeping rough without adequate clothing and sleeping bags. Homelessness is an endemic social problem to Cambridge, with government figures showing that there were 40 people sleeping on the city's streets at the end of 2016.

The money raised is being donated to Wintercomfort, a Cambridge-based day centre that provides welfare services for the homeless and vulnerably housed. The centre is open throughout the year, and receives on average 61 visits a day.

Wintercomfort maintains a close relationship with the homelessness shelter, Jimmy's, who have themselves benefited from a recent fundraising campaign. As of today, they claim to be so well supplied that they have called a halt to donations.