Little Show Peep: Week 6

A rainbow, a penguin, a place called Llareggub – Little Show Peep shepherds you through an eclectic selection of shows.

as a penguin cowboy mouth Fitzpatrick Hall little show peep me on the razzle

ME, AS A PENGUIN – Tue 13th – Sat 17th Nov

Tom Wells was inspired to write this by an anecdote about a child who, after a school trip to the zoo, managed to sneak a penguin into his rucksack and carry it all the way back to school before anyone noticed. The play centres on a man called Stitch, who goes to visit his sister and brother-in-law to sample the gay scene in Hull. There is a penguin involved.

Corpus Playroom, 7pm, £5/6

COWBOY MOUTH – Tue 13 – Sat 17 November

In the early 1970s, when Patti Smith and Sam Shephard sensed their fling was nearly flung, they wrote this play to mark its passing. It follows Slim and Cavale, two nearly ex-lovers squashed in a small New York bedroom. They tell one another stories, they kiss, and they order Chinese food from someone called The Lobster Man. Intriguing.

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm, £5/6

ON THE RAZZLE – Tue 13 – Sat 17 November

In the 1980s, Tom Stoppard adapted a mid-19th century Viennese farce by Austrian Shakespeare Johann Nestroy, and ‘On The Razzle’ was the result. When upmarket grocery owner Herr Zangler takes a trip to the city, his assistants decide to seize the day and plan a glorious night on the razzle. Because, as we all know, when the shepherd’s away, the sheep will play. Hilarity ensues.

ADC, 7.45pm, £6/10

THE PIN AND ADAM LAWRENCE SHARE AN HOUR – Tuesday 13th November

This had excellent reviews in Edinburgh. Former Footlights – or perhaps it’s once a Footlight, always a Footlight? – Ben Ashenden, Mark Fiddaman, Alec Owen and Adam Lawrence bring you a three-man sketch collective. Who knows, it might prove the pinnacle of your week.

ADC, 11pm, £5/6

THE MACEDONIAN TRAGEDY – Tuesday 13th November

‘Blood, fire, sex, rhetoric and revenge’ – things get messy when Philip II’s ex-wives and ambitious son start plotting against him. Head to Queens’ College if you fancy being transported back to the mid 300’s BCE.

Fitzpatrick Hall, 7.30pm, £5

FOR COLOURED GIRLS (WHO HAVE CONSIDERED SUICIDE WHEN THE RAINBOW IS ENUF) – Wednesday 14th November

“I found god in myself/and I loved her/I loved her fiercely.”

Banish the thought of Fifty Shades of Blue – this is actually a ‘choreo-poem’. Which might turn out to be what sheep like best, if only they were given the chance to experience one. It claims to tackle, ‘rape, domestic violence, infidelity and sisterhood’, and to transport all involved ‘to the liberating finale at the end of their rainbows.’ Don’t forget to bring your rainbow.

Fitzpatrick Hall, 11pm, £5

UNDER MILK WOOD – Wed 14 – Sat 17 November

Dylan Thomas’ 1954 radio-cum-stage-play is set in Llareggub, a seaside town in Wales where bugger all happens. Well, not quite bugger all – for then we would have no play. Small town life finds a voice in this play as its narrator allows us an insight into the lives of such characters as Captain Cat, Reverend Eli Jenkins, and Mr and Mrs Pugh.

ADC, 11pm, £4/6