Rugby Relegation Decider Looms

A called off match last term means Queens’ & Magdalene will tomorrow battle it out against each other to avoid relegation.

hugo cobb Magdalene Queens' relegation Rugby

Tomorrow sees an unusual early blockbuster in the Rugby calendar as Queens’ take on Magdalene in a match carried over from last season. The fixture is a straight shoot-out to avoid relegation to the second division after the match was snowed off last year.

Queens’ captain, Calum Roberts, was in bullish mood ahead of the game, confident that his team have enough to send Magdalene crashing to the second division. “We beat them last year and if we play the game in the right areas we should be able to beat them again,” Roberts said.

Magdalene claim line-out ball against Trinity

There is certainly enough animosity between the two sides to turn it into a feisty encounter as Roberts is still clearly annoyed by what he views as Magdalene’s delaying tactics last year.

Both teams have lost significant numbers of players from last year and have only had the chance for one training session in which to try to gel the new consignment of freshers.

Certainly a lot will rest on the shoulders of both captains. Roberts, the best player in the team and a former U21s Blue, will be expected to make his mark in the midfield and has to hold together a rookie backline while his opposite number Hugo Cobb, who has been training with the University side, will marshall Magdalene from the pack.

Queens’ XV last season

The teams in fact last met in the first fixture of last season when Queens ran out 22-10 victors- a fact Cobb put down to his team not having had time to gel properly, a problem which will face both sides tomorrow.

Cobb said: “I’ve watched Queens’ a couple of times since then and know what they’re about. Both sides will be underprepared so it will come down to whoever wants it more. Hopefully that’ll be us.”

The rugby will probably be scrappy but if you’re up for some early season drama get down to John’s pitches at 2pm tomorrow.