Affordable Vintage Fair Hits Cambridge

This Saturday, the Guildhall looks set to be THE destination for Cambridge fashionistas as it plays host to the Affordable Vintage Fashion Fair. The largest fashion fair of its kind, […]

affordable fashion affordable vintage affordable vintage fair Cambridge cambridge town hall fashion events kate moss vintage

vintage-ff-aw-2-300x424

This Saturday, the Guildhall looks set to be THE destination for Cambridge fashionistas as it plays host to the Affordable Vintage Fashion Fair.

The largest fashion fair of its kind, the Affordable Vintage Fashion Fair has been running events for the past 4 years in large cities around the UK, as featured on the BBC Breakfast news and within the pages of Vogue. It was originally the brainchild of Judy Berger, a former Selfridges personal shopper and TV fashion stylist whose aim was to bring the eclectic mix of good quality vintage found in her favourite Portobello and Spitalfields stores to cities around the UK.

Vintage fashion has become increasingly popular in recent years, and provides a good antidote to the high street. Indeed, fashion icons such as Kate Moss have become well known for effortlessly mixing together both vintage and current items to create individual looks.

Whether quirky or classic, you can be sure to find unique pieces that can safely be worn without worrying that someone else will be dressed identically! (Especially useful in the run-up to the festive season.) And if vintage isn’t your thing, the fair will also feature ‘New Designer’ stalls so there should be something for everyone. It’s Week Seven, it’s the weekend… we think it’s time for some retail therapy!

Whether you are a novice or not, remember our cardinal rules for vintage:

– Check the seams, and zips, of EVERYTHING. If it’s reparable haggle.

– Put it down if stains have yellowed!

– Check for (designer) labels, and check the fabric- work out if you are actually going to wash it, and if you can be bothered with dry cleaning

– Embrace something a bit wacky. Veils, huge jewellery, prom dresses- all these things are beautiful now and will come back into fashion, so if the shoe fits…

– Make sure shoes do actually fit. Okay?

– Vintage accessories ARE THE ANSWER. Go crazy in the jewellery, hat and bag section and have covetable pieces in your wardrobe forever- the kind that you can be all smug about when people ask where it’s from

Join the Facebook group for all the cheeky details and we’ll see you all there ready to rummage…