Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder with reports of a woman being ‘set on fire’ in Blackbird Leys

Balfour Road closed after fire service called at 10.09am this morning, an arrest was later made

With reports of a woman being “set on fire” in Blackbird Leys late this morning, police confirm an arrest has been made. Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue and South Central Ambulance Service arrived at the scene, with road closures and police sweeps of the area in place.

James Williams, Force Spokesperson, said a woman was injured in the fire and has been taken to hospital.

A concerned neighbour, who asked to remain nameless, said the woman who lived on the road was taken away by ambulance.

Speculations on the street are that there were about 12 people living in the house in question, adding that the woman was of Asian ethnicity.

Detectives are currently looking in one of the houses on the street, with firefighters up and down the road.

Emily Reed from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, affirmed that Thames Valley police are leading the incident, and that a crew was dispatched to the road.

Oxford Bus Company tweeted that due to the incident, ‘we are currently unable to serve Balfour Road.’

The service gives apologies “for any inconvenience this may cause.”

The number 1 and 5 bus routes are affected by this, which link the route to those living on Cowley Road.