Gentlemen’s Fight Night causes usual chaos

Everything from fights to orderly queueing

Gentlemen’s Fight Night is a Brookes staple: every year you can count on it producing one of the best and busiest nights you will ever see.

If you managed to afford a ticket then you can expect to queue for pretty much everything, whether it’s trying to get in, get a drink or use the loo.

But once you get through all of this, the night itself is one of the best every year, with everyone screaming at their mate to knock to other guy (whoever he is) out.

Get ready to queue

The announcer Chet Chongan got everyone going and introduced the first fight – and after that it was all textbook fight night.

Before the start of every fight, each boxer chose their entrance song, hearing everything from The Lion King to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Of course each boxer had an entourage the consisted of the ladiest of lads to help hype them up from their long walk down to the ring.

The medics were in attendance as always but were hardly used as nearly every fight came down to points. This gave the crowd the as much boxing as possible, even if it’s not the most exciting type.

Once the fights were over, there was the mad rush to Emporium for the after party.

This was probably the taxi company’s most profitable time of the night as over 1,000 students pile in to the club.

Once you’re in to Emporium you suddenly realise how many people can fit in to the club and how many more they’ve crammed in.

Too many men

With ties coming off left right and centre, all that is left is for everyone to elbow enough room for you and your drink and then bust  move.

The announcer Chet said: “Being involved in such a special event, cheering my mates on from ringside, and an atmosphere that you wouldn’t get at any other university event made it a truly memorable evening. The best night of my Brookes career. Sorry to everyone about the Dad dancing at the beginning.”

We managed to catch up with Michael Andrews, Motor Sport Engineering second year and super welterweight boxer, and despite losing to James Wilmot, he said: “Top event, and I enjoyed being centre stage in a great atmosphere.”