Brookes suffer valiant loss in latest university challenge round

Even Clubber Steve couldn’t save us

Last night Oxford Brookes went head to head with St. Peters College Oxford in a tense battle of wits.

Although they put up a brave front, Brookes faced a crippling loss – even though they came equipped with pint-sized legend Clubber Steve (AKA Steven Mayes).

While Brookes managed to keep up in the early rounds, St Peters secured a solid latter lead with several consecutive right answers.

The Tab spoke to star of the team and enduring Brookes legend Clubber Steve to get his opinion on the results.

He said: ‘’I thought it was an absolute fair result, we just got out buzzed for most of the match thanks to Trueblood being so sharp on the buzzer.’’

Steve added: “The only thing I wished we had of done was just to be that little sharper on the buzzer but we ran into Trueblood on top form so there was nothing else we could have done really.’’

“From the experience I have learnt how to work better in a team as well as improving my knowledge which was the reason why I wanted to do the show, to expand my knowledge.’’

It also seems like St Peter’s team captain – Gabriel Trueblood has gained quite a following as a result of the show.

If asked if he had any advice for future Brookes UC teams, Steve said: “You really have to put your time and effort into studying topics for the show in order that you can as wide as range of knowledge as possible.

“So basically, work really hard.”