Scooter Social Wheelie Successful

Wednesday evening witnessed the return of the now legendary Brookes Football Scooter Social.

A pub crawl with a difference, this wonderful occasion involves over fifty boys dressing as English Gentlemen and mounting micro-scooters, racing from bar to bar.

The Britannia in Headington was the start-line, and so scooters were piled high as the first beers of the night were ordered, everyone extremely excited for the journey ahead. After a quick drink we were away.

Headington locals were stunned as the large tweed-clad peloton raced down London Road at speeds dangerously close to the sound barrier, for The White Horse was our next pit stop

Following some shoddy bar work we were behind schedule so we saw off our drinks and scooted towards the big race, the one that everyone was waiting for, Morrell Avenue.

The boys lined up, eager to make a good start down this winding wet and bumpy hill. Starting orders were issued and the group spread out, the men were separated from the boys as we sped off into the dark. Flat-caps, tartan scarfs and Primark glasses flew through the air after falling from riders in front, adding a Mario Kart element to the race.

Luckily everyone made it down relatively unharmed and the winner of the race was unclear, although Fourth Team Captain, Eddie Owen claimed victory amongst allegations that he went the wrong way. What kind of idiot manages to get lost on a single-road race?!

The Star was the next pub on the list and here we recovered with a few drinks in the beer garden. Being a respectful and well-mannered club we kept the noise down by collectively whispering the Brookes Football chants and songs, which has to be one of the creepiest things I have ever heard.

After a rapid scoot, a rapid drink, a rapid house-party and a rapid taxi we arrived at Fuzzy Ducks where the mayhem continued, of course.

Now in its third year, this social is a firm favourite and the night did not disappoint. I would like to give special thanks to my bright pink Va Rooom Nebulus Scooter (ages 3-9) who now resides in a Cowley hedge after one too many bunny-hops saw its back wheel collapse. RIP.