The Tab’s Thrifty Term Time Tips

Brookes students are the most lavish in the country, here’s some help if you’re already missing your loan

Brookes students have come out as the top university spenders in a survey by VoucherCodes spending, on average, £531 a month.

The same survey revealed unsurprisingly that the second biggest expenditure is alcohol, £84 a month, and that most students struggle to keep their loans going to the end of each semester.

So how do we save money without having to ruin our student experience? The Tab is on hand to bring you some money saving tips.

Pre-Drinks

Clubber Steve enjoying al fresco predrinks

Pre-drinking is great, it’s both one of Clubber Steve’s top tips for a great night out and a great way to socialise. Fish bowls are always good to get things going. Create your own lethal cocktail by combining your Tesco value vodka with whatever else is to hand.

Ban all cards

Hands up if you want a drink

Everyone’s offered to buy a round when hideously drunk and woken up with a hangover to find a receipt for £40 in their pocket. Stick to cash and let someone else buy the shots round. Just pray you have enough left over at the end of the night for a taxi.

Free Condoms

Brookes medical center provides free condoms all semester, so don’t be afraid to go a grab a load. No pun intended.

How many kebabs?

Sorry Ahmed…

The queues at the kebab shops in the early hours of the morning explain it all. Takeaways are one of the top five thing students blow their loans on with an average spend of £54 a month. Stick to cereal at home if you have the munchies and try a big fry up or roast with your housemates, the next morning, to soak up the alcohol.

For any of you brave money savers out there…

Cheffing hell: Not for the faint-hearted

Doggy Style. Not what you’re thinking. New studies show that dog food will give you healthy, shiny hair and think of the money you’ll save!

One website even recommends splitting your ‘two-ply toilet paper’ in order to make it last longer… saving a HUGE £7 a year!