Bristol students raise £18,000 for NHS by opting against a refund for INVADES race day

‘There are big hearts in Bristol, and we have been blown away by the kindness and generosity shown by so many’

Bristol students who were planning to attend the Invades summer racing event at Cheltenham have raised £18,000 by choosing to tribute the value of their tickets to the NHS Charities Together COVID-19 appeal.

The much-anticipated racing event was due to take place on the 1st May 2020, but due to COVID-19 the event was forced to cancel.

Through the generosity and kindness of mainly Bristol students, Invades were able to donate £18,048.28 on behalf of 773 customers who chose not to receive a refund for their ticket.

The money raised will go towards NHS staff, volunteers and patients. It will help to fund well-being packs, rest and recuperation rooms, electronic tablets for isolated patients to communicate with loved ones and longer term mental health recovery of staff and their families.

A representative from Invades told The Bristol Tab: “We wanted to show our support for those on the front line, and those affected by this terrible disease, so we decided to give our customers a simple choice: a full refund or tribute the value of their ticket to the NHS.

“There are big hearts in Bristol, and we have been blown away by the kindness and generosity shown by so many.

“When it is safe for us to do so, we cannot wait to bring everyone together again from some spicy day parties at the Races, Darts, Polo and Cricket.”