King Street Sherlocked down – but there’s no sign of Benedict

Don’t worry, Cumberbatch didn’t call anybody ‘coloured’

It was all crowds, selfies and Victorian set dressing as King Street became the set for the new series of Sherlock on Friday.

Spotting Cumberbatch wasn’t elementary

We spotted Martin “Bilbo” Freeman – sporting a super dashing moustache and bowler hat, but Benedict “Smaug” Cumberbatch wasn’t to be seen anywhere.

Security guards on either side of the street were quick to prevent any onlookers from trying to grab a short role in the award-winning drama, staying alert the whole time.

People should dress like this more often tbh

The charming co-writer of the series Mark Gatiss, who also plays Sherlock’s brother Mycroft in the show, was on site and more than willing to take some selfies with the mob of Sherlock fans.

Your writer (left) with Mark Gatiss

Despite the unanimous silence the rest of the crew regarding filming – most of whom refused to even admit it was Sherlock being filmed – Mark did give us a few exclusives about what was going down.

When asked why the previously modern-day setting for Sherlock had now reverted to the 19th century setting of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original novels, he said: “Wait and see.”

Mark had no problem posing with fans

However he did tell us Sherlock will be back on our screens “around Christmas time.”