The Trials and Tribulations of a Midlander

Being a Midlander at Bristol can be pretty difficult you know!

What a surprise! Another student article on the North-South divide! Well…no. This time the Tab is giving a voice to those under-represented in the media. I am of course referring to the lesser-known part of these British Isles: The Midlands.

It is time the student population developed a degree of sympathy for those travelling ‘down south’ to the rah-ness of Bristol University and explain the tough obstacles these poor fellows must face on a day-today basis.

Which Side?

In reality, neither side really wants you due to your unrecognisable habits. However, you need to belong and weigh up each option. Southern invitations to high class events are very tempting. Moreover, our London friends are likely to give you an upper hand to contacts and employment prospects via their ‘inner-circles’. However, how can you reject  warm Northern comforts? Gravy and chips, ales and those accents that brighten up your day are hard to ignore. Personally, my decision was made during Freshers Week and the response from introducing myself:

Friend: ‘So where are you from?’

Me: ‘Nottingham’

Friend: ‘ohhhhhh so you’re Northern then?’

Me: *facepalm*

The Southern life…

….or the Northern binge?

Explaining where your city is…

Everyone (well, hopefully) is able to locate London on a map. The same goes for Northern capitals such as Manchester. However, it seems many are unaware of the barren lands in between Birmingham and Sheffield. The amount of times I have had to explain Nottingham’s location is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It is as if both Northerners and Southerners believe this area is unpopulated. It is time the Midland cities gained recognition for themselves and, quite literally, put their names on the map. (At the very least, Nottingham could improve its current label from ‘Shottingham’).

Lack of accent

While some believe this is a positive thing, it can also be viewed as being left out. Our lack of accent leaves Midlanders with little identity within the friendship group. I accept there is the occasional ‘Brummy’ accent and perhaps some poor souls from the  meadows of Derbyshire. On the whole, it is difficult to assert a distinctive accent to the Midlands. The Midlands accent is about as distinct as a Londoner in Wills hall.

A Midlander’s main problem

So there you go. Hopefully readers will appreciate the difficulties that face Midlanders arriving at Bristol University. And for those Midlanders still struggling over which side to choose, just remember…the Northern society membership is only £3.