Rising Stars: Part One

We take a look at Bristol’s sporting movers and shakers

It’s the start of a new season, and the time for new sportsmen and women to step forward and take on the task of maintaining Bristol’s rep for sporting success.

We asked each sport captain to nominate a ‘rising star’ from their squads – individuals capable of inspiring leadership qualities, burning enthusiasm and extraordinary match-winning skill.

Check out part one of our guide to Bristol’s rising stars to find out who they are and, whatever you do, don’t forget their names. Make no mistake: these are the ones to watch!

Callum Gathercole

Sport: Rowing

Course: Aeronautical Engineering

What’s been the highlight of your rowing career?

The highlight of my rowing career would have to be rowing for Great Britain at the World Rowing Junior Championships. The whole experience was absolutely incredible and representing my country at such a big event is something I’ll never forget.

Where do you see yourself in two years’ time?

I would like to have made it into the GB squad for lightweight U23s, but hopefully I’ll be happy that I’m training well and getting the balance right between rowing, work and sleep…

What major awards/competitions have you won?

I’ve won the Home International Regatta for England in the Junior double sculls as well as a record at the Schools Head in Junior Quads. I’m also the current National Schools Champion in Junior doubles.

Craziest thing you’ve done on a social?

We once decided it would be funny to round the Holiday Inn naked!

Steffan Jones

Sport: Rugby

Course: Experimental Psychology

Steffan Jones in action

What do you consider the highlight of your rugby career so far?

Making my international 7s debut in front of 30,000 people in Wellington in the IRB World Series.

Hopefully playing professional rugby having graduated.

What competitions and awards have you won?

My most prized award is my first Wales Sevens cap.

Craziest thing you’ve done on a social?

I don’t really have any crazy stories to be honest, sorry to disappoint – none worth noting anyway. I’m the wrong guy!

Daniel Moore

Sport: American Football

Course: Law

Barracuda’s rising star Daniel Moore

Hopefully I will be celebrating with my teammates at Bristol after winning a national title, as well as gaining a call up for the GB Lions squad. We have a few guys trying out for the GB student team this year as well, so I have my fingers crossed for them.

What awards have you won and what’s been your career highlight?

At Bristol Barracuda, we don’t focus too much on past achievements and personal performances. We care about the next trophy the team should win. With the strength of the squad this year, that has to be the national championship.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve done on a social?

Socials are one of the best things about being a Cuda – but you know the saying, what happens in Rileys stays in Rileys. Sorry!

Got a rising star on your team? Email [email protected]