7 things only BAMMJ students will understand

Multimedia Journalists – we feel your pain

assignment bammj bournemouthuni journalism locals multimedia news sep shorthand

You may wonder, what on Earth is BAMMJ? Well, that’s the über cool, yet hip name for everyone that does Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth Uni. I’m only a first year, so I haven’t been immersed in the world of Multimedia Journalism for long, but there so far there are many many things that only BAMMJ students will understand. No one else would.

1. Shorthand is equivalent to eating brussel sprouts.

The further up you get in units, the more it feels like it’s never going to end. The faster you try to write, the more your so-called shorthand looks like hieroglyphics. But I suppose practice makes perfect, and hopefully (one day in the distant future) we all will be writing at 120 words per minute with our eyes closed. By the way don’t look at task 26.4, you’ll cry.

Actually what the heck, Merry flippin’ Christmas.

See, look at how much sense that makes 🙂

2. Seeing  40/ 60 WPM and weeping inside.

WPM? What’s that? Words per minute that’s what. I can’t even write longhand (normal English words) in 60 words per minute. I just see the stopwatch and tear up.

3. Hearing the word ‘assignment’ makes a little bit of you crumple inside.

I know this doesn’t just apply to BAMMJ students (it applies to like, everyone) but since the late we have had a lot to get our heads round. The talk of going home for Christmas, only to have ‘assignment’ or ‘essay’ in the back of your head, is literally a flipping killjoy, damn. Like c’mon, it’s Christmas.

4. Accepting the fact that you have to learn to approach random people in the street.

That’s everyone’s favourite thing to do right? Approach someone in the street to harass them with questions. In an ideal world we would want everyone that we talk to to cooperate, but unfortunately this is not in a ideal world. Getting rejected is the worst, it does something inexplicable to your ego.

5. SEO. SEO. SEO EVERYWHERE. (Search Engine Optimisation)

I didn’t even know what SEO meant. But nearly everything, I mean everything, has something to do with the bloody SEO. That little circle thing just there, in your face.

6. Finding a news story is literally like finding a needle in a haystack. 

‘Find a news story that hasn’t yet been published’. Do you know how hard that is? Which takes me back up to point number four. However when you do find a good one, it’s usually quite good.

7. Spiral notepads are like the bane of your existence.

I am 100% certain, that starting next year this list is bound to get longer and just grow. But nevertheless, BAMMJ’s are the top dogs out here.