Bournemouth University medical students treat ‘zombie attack’ in mass training simulation

The training experience was brought to life by AUB makeup students

Bournemouth medical students dealt with the casualties of an apparent zombie attack on Wednesday.

However, the “major incident simulation event” was a training exercise, brought to life by marketing communications and Arts University Bournemouth special effects make-up artist, rather than real living dead.

The simulation, led by Paramedic Science lecturer Una Brosnan, lasted two days and involved over 350 paramedic, nursing, and mental health students at university building Studland House and its underground carpark.

The paramedic, nursing, and mental health students took part in the large training session at the university’s Studland House building, and its underground carpark. 

They treated causalities with an array of of injuries. Adam Bancroft, programme lead for paramedic science, said in a press release: “We’re not doing bite injuries and no one’s coming back from the dead. The zombie theme is a bit of fun because…  we can’t even attempt to replicate or fantasise about those horrific incidents occurring all over the world.

“What we are simulating is the challenge and ensuring our students understand the processes involved during major incidents no matter what is going on around them.

“So if you start with a fun and whimsical or creative backstory then you can be a bit inventive and artistic with it.”

Simulation lead Una Brosnan told the BBC that the experience was “very intense,” but that it was “not about scaring the students, it’s about them learning”.

Student Samuel Priestley said “we watched a little clip where there’s a zombie apocalypse, trying to set the scene… But it’s quite different when you walk in there and there’s actors shouting, and blood… so it’s quite overwhelming.”

Evie Clayton added: “We thought there’d be an explosion or something, and then they said zombie apocalypse and we were like ‘what?’

“Because you actually have people screaming and blood coming out, and they’re actually telling you they’re going to die… it does feel like you’re actually helping them and it’s really surreal.”