If you’re not an arts student, get out the Mason Lounge

Jog on

arts arts lounge bham birmingham brum engineering humanities Mason lounge selly oak STEM university of birmingham UoB

Look, I’m not trying to be harsh, but something needs to be said. This is an important issue, dear to the hearts of many students from the College of Arts and Law. And I really think you should hear us out. Basically…

If you’re not an arts student, and the Mason Lounge is your go-to place to work, you really need to jog on.

My precious

My precious

This isn’t about marking our territory or starting a turf war. It’s really just about what’s fair and square, and you using the Mason Lounge just isn’t right. I can’t even begin to tell you about the rage that bubbles up inside me when someone parks up on the computer next to me and whips out a massive Biology book, or loads up lots of gibberish equations on their computer screen, while people clutching their Riverside Chaucer wander around aimlessly looking for somewhere to set up camp for the day. We’re being driven out of our own home, and it’s totally unjust.

I mean, this is the Arts building. Do you know what ‘Arts’ constitutes? It’s a bloody lot. The College of Arts and Law is home to the departments English, English Language, Classics, History, Drama, American and Canadian Studies, Law, History of Art, Anthropology, African Studies, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Theology, and more.

Do you even speak iambic pentameter?

Do you even speak iambic pentameter?

Sure, some of these departments have their own buildings, but most of us are lumped together in the one building that only really has one substantial computer cluster. It’s hard enough battling your own arts and humanities brothers and sisters for that golden seat, especially in exam season and deadline weeks, let alone when you throw STEM subjects in the mix – so why don’t you use your own clusters?

And speaking of your own clusters, most STEM subjects have really plush study areas with lots of resources and extras that we don’t get to take advantage of, so we’re really clueless as to why you want to monopolize our space too.

English students print a hell of a lot, and we have to foot the bill for almost every page, because nobody else will (looking at you, Med School). And there’s possibly nowhere on campus to study that’s as nice The Link in Gisbert Kapp, but you guys have security prowling round, tossing everyone who can’t produce an Electrical Engineering student ID out into the cold, even when the room is empty. And don’t get us started on how self-conscious you can feel whipping out a complete Oxford Shakespeare in an engineering computer cluster – I almost expect a hate crime to occur should someone catch me reading sonnets rather than balancing an equation.

Wtf even is this?

Wtf even is this?

It’s not that we’re totally against you using our resources, but it should be fair game for us to use all of yours too. We’re all paying in £9,000, so why do some of us get more out of it? If we have to share our dingy little Mason Lounge, then you have to share your fancy Link with us and stop your security guards from kicking everyone else out.

So either leave, or learn to share. After all, we’re all just trying to avoid the nightmare of the Main Library, aren’t we?