Birmingham Pryzm is closing down with ‘immediate effect’ after company went bust

The closure is due to effects from the cost of living crisis

Birmingham’s biggest nightclub Pryzm will be closing down indefinitely following a press release made by Rekom Group today.

The Birmingham location is among 17 other sites which have also closed down including Nottingham, Leeds and Exeter. 

The decision to close the sites came after joint administrators to seven companies within the Rekom Group were appointed yesterday. Birmingham Pryzm confirmed its closure in an announcement made on their Instagram account earlier today.

The UK’s largest nightclub operator, Rekom Group assured employees in their statement that they would be working closely with the Redundancy Payments Office to provide support to staff members.

These closures have occurred as a result of the cost of living crisis, which has largely affected students and has impacted the late night sector. 

Peter Marks, Chairman of Rekom UK commented: “We have made every effort to redeploy staff across the business where possible and we’re pleased to have saved around 1000 jobs. Regrettably, however, the reduced estate meant it was inevitable that we would have to make some redundancies. We have informed all colleagues within the organisation of the unfortunate developments that have taken place over the last 18 days.  

“This outcome follows an extremely difficult period for the late night sector, thanks to the combination of the cost of living crisis hitting younger generations and students particularly hard, as well as the rising National Living Wage alongside increased business rates and costs of operating.” 

The full list of affected locations and numbers include: 

Basildon Unit 7  

Birmingham PRYZM  

Coventry Jumpin Jaks  

Dartford ATIK 

Exeter Unit 1

Kings Lynn Bar & Beyond  

Leeds PRYZM  

Nottingham PRYZM  

Oldham Liquid & Envy  

Plymouth PRYZM  

Portsmouth PRYZM  

Romford ATIK

Swansea Level 17 

Watford PRYZM 

Watford Steinbeck & Shaw  

Windsor ATIK

Wrexham ATIK 

Although Pryzms across Birmingham, Exeter and Leeds were forced to close, Rekom Group confirmed that it was able to keep other venues open across the country and in turn, is preserving around 500 jobs elsewhere.

Birmingham’s brand new University Railway Station building is now open to the public

University of Birmingham wins prestigious higher education prize

Birmingham City University student fundraises £7k in order to continue with her studies

Featured image via Google Maps