Image may contain: Haircut, Hair, Boy, Face, Person, Human

Aberdeen Tory candidate and former AU student suspended for Holocaust tweets

He claims the posts were taken out of context

The Conservative candidate for Aberdeen North has been suspended because of alleged Islamophobic, antisemitic, and homophobic forum posts from 2012.

Ryan Houghton, a former University of Aberdeen student, originally posted messages praising Adolf Hitler apologist and Holocaust denier, David Irving on an online forum.

The 27-year-old and has since apologised for the posts, claiming they had been taken out of context. The Conservative party has withdrawn their support, but Ryan's name will still appear on the ballot paper as the application has already been submitted.

One of Ryan's forum posts said there was "no credible evidence to suggest the Holocaust did not happen", adding "I do find some of the events fabricated."

He also posted: "I know I’m kind of going to the extreme here but I don’t see how homosexuality is ‘good’ for the human race?"

A Scottish Conservatives spokesman said: “The comments contained in these blogs are unacceptable and Mr Houghton has been suspended as a member of the Scottish Conservative party as a result.

"The party has also withdrawn its support for his candidacy in Aberdeen North.

"The Scottish Conservatives deplore all forms of Islamophobia, homophobia and antisemitism.”

Ryan said in a statement: "At the age of 20 on an online forum, I took part in a range of political discussions.

"These included terrorism, LGBT rights and antisemitism."

Ryan said in one of the threads he discussed comments made by the discredited British historian David Irving, and referred to his view that some evidence regarding the Holocaust had been fabricated.

Ryan says he made clear in subsequent posts he did not defend Irving’s views and opposed Holocaust denial.

The former Tory candidate added: "I apologise unreservedly for any hurt now caused by these comments and have been in contact with members of the Jewish community in Aberdeen."

Labour peer Alf Dubs said: “As someone who survived the Holocaust, I feel sickened that there will be a Conservative party candidate on the ballot paper on 12 December who claimed events in the Holocaust were fabricated.

"The Conservatives must face up to their problem with antisemitism. Instead of using the issue to score political points, they should challenge it in their own ranks."