Niteline raising awareness for mental health

Niteline and The Tab joined forces for a stunt to get students talking about mental health.

Have you ever felt like this?

This morning at 11:30 the editor of The Tab, Rachel Donald, began a three hour simulation of the  loneliness and isolation by climbing inside a shrink-wrapped wooden frame, cutting her off from the masses of students that walked past her en route to the library.

This is an experience common to many students at University and was framed in the question painted on the box, “Have you ever felt like this?” The aim of this was to start a conversation amongst students walking past about mental health and their own experiences surrounding it.

This was immensely successful and the responses were fantastic. Many students wanted to know how they could help the girl in the box, others were keen to find out how they could help in some way to raise awareness of mental health issues.

The theme of mental health awareness month is “Let’s talk about it” and as such all we asked was that students help to create an environment where friends and peers can talk about their own feelings of loneliness and isolation without fear of rejection or ridicule.

Niteline exists to empower students to talk about their own feelings without being judged. The box in which Rachel was placed was representative of not only feelings of isolation and loneliness, but the wall of silence and shame which prevents these feelings from being brought to the surface.

Today’s ‘stunt’ was designed to start a conversation, to encourage a dialogue within and among students about issues that are frequently kept from the surface of everyday conversation even though they are prevalent among society.

These themes are so universal that STV came down to campus to interview David Ferguson who is the Head of Advertising, and Iona Paterson, Deputy Editor for The Tab Aberdeen.

When Rachel exited the box we asked her how she felt. Her first response was “Cold.” However, her mood was obviously low and she went on to say:

“I felt, and still feel, very distant and lonely. I feel quite irrationally angry but unsure how to address it. Even though this was something I volunteered for – and something we planned together – I feel like no one could understand how I’m feeling right now.

If I ever felt like this late at night and had no one to talk to it would be horrible. I completely understand the necessity of Niteline now and urge people to call whenever they need someone to speak to, or just listen.”

Niteline’s mascot – Bozie the bear

As a service we are here to support students whenever they want to talk, whatever the issue is. We are for the highs and the lows. It’s so important that students are aware we are here for them, and today proved immensely helpful in getting that message across.

Niteline: We listen.

01224 272829