The Tab is hiring two Staff Writers to join our head office – here’s how to apply

Applications close on Sunday 3rd September 2023

The Tab is hiring two Staff Writers to join our head office editorial team. This is an exciting opportunity to join The Tab as we continue towards our goal of becoming the mouthpiece of the UK youth.

The Tab is a news site covering all student and youth culture, with seven million readers a month. We cover everything from Netflix to politics, as well as dominating uni campuses all over the UK. The Tab is part of Digitalbox Plc – the growing media company behind Entertainment Daily!, The Poke and The Daily Mash.

As a Staff Writer, you will be publishing multiple stories a day on a variety of topics. In this role you will write about the latest TikTok trends, pop culture news and be quick to notice the next viral meme. You will keep up to date with the most watched Netflix shows and movies, writing SEO articles, hot takes and fun quizzes.

From the latest entertainment news and social media trends to social justice and mental health, you will have a strong understanding of what young people really care about. You will know what entertains people ages 18-25 and what makes them tick.

Key responsibilities as a Staff Writer

• Writing at least three stories a day for The Tab’s national site
  • Pitching the latest trends and takes on social media and turning them into content for our readers
  • Pitching and helping to shape social ideas alongside the editorial team
  • Working towards monthly page view targets

You will be writings stories like these:

From 2015 to now, this is what every Love Island finalist has been up to over the years

There are several ‘distressing’ details that were excluded from The Sixth Commandment

This is what the Skins cast look like now, 15 years after the first ever episode aired

Ranking every song on 1989 by Taylor Swift, in honour of the Taylor’s Version announcement

Debunked: Has Corn Kid actually died and where have these rumours come from?

This is exactly what MAFS Australia’s Evelyn Ellis was like on Big Brother UK

Married at First Sight babies: These are all the cast members who have had children

Meet the two new faces causing drama on Made in Chelsea: Corsica

Hailey Bieber and Kylie Jenner have lost a combined 800k followers since the Selena Gomez drama

11 wild rules the KarJenner family has to follow when filming The Kardashians

About you:

• You will have a 2:1 degree from a British university
  • Have writing experience, whether it be for a student, regional or national publication
  • Have a keen interest in a career in journalism
  • Have plenty of ideas ready to entertain The Tab’s readers inspired by TikTok, Instagram and YouTube
  • You will keep up to date with the latest TV shows (Love Island, Married at First Sight, Made in Chelsea or whichever show is trending at the time)
  • You must be numbers driven and thrive off ambitious page views and publishing targets

Here’s why you should apply:

• You will receive £22,000 – £25,000 a year (DOE), with a pay review after the first year
  • Hours: 9 am – 6pm on weekdays (with the option to start at 8 am and finish at 5 pm)
  • Early finishes on Fridays
  • 25 days of holiday a year plus bank holidays and an extra day off for your birthday
  • Access to our dog friendly office in Spitalfields, which offers perks like free yoga classes and a happy hour each week (UK-based remote applications will be accepted)
  • A young and sociable team
  • 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app
  • Company-wide parties every year
  • A company MacBook Air

To apply, send the following to Head of Entertainment, Hayley Soen ([email protected]):

Email your CV, links to three of your published stories and three pitches that are extremely relevant on the day of your application. Include a headline and a very brief synopsis of each.

Applications close at midnight on Sunday 3rd September 2023, and candidates should be available to start ASAP.