Kardashians rules

11 wild rules the KarJenner family has to follow when filming The Kardashians

It’s hard work!

Over the years Keeping Up With the Kardashians became a staple in reality TV, with various spinoffs and the creation of an empire like no other. Viewers have seen the family argue, cry and even start families of their own – but there is a long list of rules they all have to follow when it comes to the series.

With season three of The Kardashians now airing on Disney+ and Hulu, here are all the rules the KarJenner family and those featuring in the show must follow when filming the iconic series.

1. Everyone has to sign an NDA

It probably comes as no surprise that if you feature on the show, you have to keep quiet about what goes down, and Kim Kardashian confirmed it.

“Btw NDAs for all!” Kim wrote while live-tweeting an episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

During the neverending Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian drama, an NDA she signed was revealed by ABC News. In the contract, she agreed to not disclose anything about the Kardashians.

2. Producers apparently have to wear shoe protectors in Kris Jenner’s house

You know what? I get it. In a New York Times article, it was claimed a production assistant had to wear shoe covers when handing out microphones and wiring up people, getting them ready to film.

3. Waivers have to be signed to use a picture of someone

It isn’t uncommon for photos of celebrities to be blurred in episodes of The Kardashians, and when a fan asked Khloe what the deal was, she explained.

“We obviously didn’t do anything. He might not have signed a waiver to show those images. Why would I want to blur his face? I’m not hiding his identity,” she wrote on Twitter.

4. Whatever Kim says, goes

Kim is a main figure in the Kardashian family and it comes as no surprise that she makes a lot of the shots.

“I think if you ask the crew, I probably produce the most because I know what my sisters might not be sharing,” Kim said in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter. “So I’ll tell them, ‘Go over to Kourt’s house right now. Something is going on.”

5. You have to be trustworthy to be on the show

I mean, this makes a lot of sense given their strict NDAs.

“Unfortunately, there are some bad people out there who [don’t] have good intentions,” Kris told Huffington Post. “But to the best of my ability, we try to have people on our team who have our back, who we feel that we can really trust.”

6. The exterior of their real homes can never be shown

Due to safety reasons, the exterior of their actual homes are never shown on TV. “It was so unsafe,” Kim explained.

“The Hollywood Star Tours would stop by because they recognised my home from our show. After that, we realised how unsafe it is to show the exterior of our homes. So now we use different homes for the outside for security purposes.”

7. The cast have to be willing to film scenes again

A lot of scenes in the OG seasons of Keeping Up With the Kardashians were heavily scripted and sometimes that meant scenes had to be filmed again.

One moment that was filmed twice was when Kris Humphries asked Kim Kardashian to marry him. Producer Russell Jay claimed the scene was reshot because Kim didn’t like her reaction in the first take.

8. They have to be mic’d up all the time

Given how much they are filmed, it makes sense they need to have mics on them at all points. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Kourtney said: “I remember in season one being like, ‘I have to go to the bathroom’ and I’d cry in there as quiet;y as I could because I was still mic’d.”

9. Kendall’s relationships have to pass a milestone before her partner can appear on the show

Kendall reportedly created a rule about their partners appearing on Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

“Kendall’s always had this rule. She just felt like she had to be with someone for at least a year before she lets them be a part of the show, because she doesn’t always know what people’s intentions are,” executive producer Farnaz Farjam explained. “That’s why we kind of kept her personal life out of it.”

10. They are allowed to delete footage if they see fit

The family are also executive producers on The Kardashians and so they get to decide what makes it onto episodes.

“Obviously like any human being, they have boundaries so they can decide what stays in, what stays out of the show,” executive producer Danielle King said.

11. Kendall and Kylie have to get their nails done every week

When asked about how she deals with her length of her nails on the show, Kendall said she gets them done once a week.

“[Kris] would make us do it. She would have a nail artist come to the house once a week and she would make us get our nails done. She was like ‘You are never going to look like you’re not put together.’ So we were always getting them done,” Kendall claimed.

Season three of The Kardashians is available to watch on Disney+ now. For all the latest reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook