The 10 best true crime series on Netflix you NEED in your life right now

Because you know you’re addicted

Ok let's be serious – being addicted to crime documentaries is real. Psychologists have even said that it's perfectly normal to be obsessed with true crime, and a lot of us are. Netflix true crime is better than ever right now, the stories are fascinating and the site keeps dropping them, and dropping them and dropping them. Obviously we keep binging, and obsessing the more they come. Whether it be Ted Bundy, The Keepers or Making a Murderer – there is always a true crime documentary to talk about.

Here are the best Netflix true crime documentaries on right now:

Abducted in Plain Sight

Abducted in Plain Sight is the latest true crime doc to drop on Netflix, and everyone is backing it as the most fascinating yet. Twitter just can't get their heads around it:

The hour and a half documentary is about 12-year-old Jan Broberg, who was abducted from a small church-going community in Idaho, in 1974, by a trusted neighbour and close family friend.

Ted Bundy Tapes

Everyone right now is talking about Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes. The four episode Netflix true crime series is about the story of Theodore Robert Bundy, a serial killer, kidnapper and rapist. After years of denying his crimes, Bundy admitted to 30 murders on women, but the true number of victims remains unknown. He was sentenced to death by electrocution and died in 1989.

The documentary has also been made into a film, in which Zac Efron players the killer. The film is also coming to Netflix.

Image may contain: Netflix true crime, True Crime, Ted Bundy, documentary, Netflix, mugshot, Clothing, Apparel, Man, Face, Person, Human

One of Ted Bundy's mugshots from the Netflix true crime doc

The Keepers

The Keepers is a seven episode series, based on the murder of a nun, Sister Cathy Cesnik. The mystery of her death remains unsolved. The series was released in May 2017, and has been called Netflix's best True Crime docuseries to date.

Cathy Cesnik, who taught English and drama, disappeared on November 7th, 1969, and her body was found nearly two months later. To this day, the killer remains unnamed. In the '90s, the case returned to the spotlight after one of Cesnik's former students accused the high school's chaplain of sexual abuse and claimed she had seen her teacher's then undiscovered body.

Image may contain: Netflix true crime, True Crime, The Keepers, nun, Dimples, Clothing, Apparel, Head, Human, Person, Face

The Keepers Netflix true crime doc

Evil Genius

Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist is a 2018 Netflix true crime documentary series about the murder of Brian Wells. Season one on Netflix is made up of four episodes.

The series is about a Bank Heist gone wrong, that ended up as a public murder. The attempted robber was a pizza delivery driver who had a bomb around his neck, and the case was then named the "pizza bomber" case. The documentary explores conspiracies surrounding the story, as well as the story itself.

Shadow of Truth

Image may contain: Netflix true crime, shadow of truth, Netflix, crime, documentary,  Mat, Rug, Label, Text

The Shadow of Truth Netflix true crime doc

Shadow of Truth is a four-part Netflix true crime series exploring the 2006 murder of a 13-year-old Israeli girl, and the conviction of a Ukrainian immigrant.

On December 6th, 2006, 13-year-old Tair Rada walked into her school’s bathroom where she was stabbed to death in one of the stalls. Public outrage put pressure on the police, who then focused their investigation around the immigrant.

Casting Jonbenet

This series is based on one of the most famous child-murder cases in the world. The 2017 doc is about the murder of JonBenét Ramsey. Child beauty queen JonBenét died when she was six years old. She was found in the basement of her house by her father, the family had thought she was kidnapped from the house. She had died from both a blunt force trauma and strangulation.

Image may contain: Home Decor, Girl, Face, Female, Human, Person

There are so many theories surrounding this case, the most common one being that the Ramsey family themselves are to blame.

Wild Wild Country

Wild Wild Country is a six-part docuseries about the controversial Indian guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. He bought a plot of land in the Oregon desert and attempted to build a utopian society in 1981. He had built brand new homes that could house over 7,000 residents and the plan was to develop a food supply, police and fire stations, restaurants and a small airport.

However, tension was created just a year into the build. According to Netflix: “This conflict would become one of the wildest episodes in American history and feature heated debates over land use, electoral mayhem, voter suppression, biological warfare, assassination attempts, deportations, drugs, sex and more.”

Captive for 18 Years: The Jaycee Lee Story

Image may contain: Netflix true crime, Jaycee Lee, The Jaycee Lee Story, crime, documentary, Hair, Poster, Advertisement, Smile, Word, Face, Blonde, Person, Human, Teen, Child, Girl, Woman, Kid, Female

The Jaycee Lee Story Netflix true crime doc

Captive for 18 Years: The Jaycee Lee Story is another, older Netflix true crime documentary that shaped the true crime category. The 48 minute documentary first aired in 2009, but is still popular today. The doc is about Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was abducted by a sex offender and his wife when she was just 11 years old. Somehow, she made it out alive 18 years later, but she would never be the same again.

Making a Murderer

Image may contain: Netflix true crime, crime, documentary, Netflix, Making a Murderer, Photography, Portrait, Photo, Text, Poster, Advertisement, Head, Human, Person, Face

Making a Murderer Netflix true crime doc

Making a Murderer is arguably the series that invented Netflix true crime. The documentary is split into two parts, each with 10 episodes and is about Steven Avery, who spent nearly 20 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. He then found himself in prison again, for a further murder that he denies. Avery is basically convinced the police are setting him up as the killer, and tbh everyone else is too.

The Staircase

The Staircase is a 13-episode, Netflix true crime docuseries about the 2001 death of novelist Michael Peterson's wife, Kathleen Peterson. He claimed she died after falling down the stairs at their home, but a medical examiner determined she had been beaten with a weapon, which led to Peterson becoming a suspect in what would become a murder investigation.

If Netflix true crime isn't your thing, or you've already binge watched all the crime you can possibly take, Netflix has also recently released dramas such as Sex Education and You, and the documentary about the Fyre Festival.